racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter8

Junior
Reaction score
hi all.i was wondering how to sanitize my next carboy before racking.do i use a cleaning solution and then rinse with water thoroughly?or do i use cleaning solution and let it air dry?i was also wondering how this works before bottling.

If the carboy or bottles are clean then what you want is a sanitizing solution made up of 2 tble spoons of K-meta or NA-meta to one gallon of water and swish this around in the carboy or bottles and then let drip dry, doesnt have to be dry but you dont want pools of this stuff in your bottles. If your vessels are not clean then you will want to clean them properly with something like Oxyclean or B-Brite or C-Brite wich are oxygen based cleansers then sanitize afterwards.

You could but make sure to rinse very well and make sure you get all the soap out.

I like a cleanser that doesn't foam like soap, and isn't perfumed (since perfumes can leech into plastic).

Oxi-clean Free is a good choice as its free of dyes/perfumes, and will clean/cleanse very well. It'll eat oraganic residue off too.

it does need to be rinsed well.

I then sanitize with Star-San, a great no-rinse acid sanitizer.

Last edited:
I am old fashoned and use soap and hot water to clean. I rinse very well but still worry about soap residue. Oxy clean free is best but not cheap. I always rinse with a sulfite solution to sanitize prior to any contact with the wine. The bottles, I do this and then turn upside down untill ready to fill and do it while wet yet with the solution.
Steve

Latest posts

Back