Racking to Secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdaniels9

Junior
Reaction score
I find it really hard to get the tube on my syphon pump. Anyone else get this? I use the simple rudemetary suck up push down out it comes contraption.

I had to cut the tube a bit to fit it over. I think for about 12 of the litres I was syphoning air was getting in the tube creating bubbles. Do you think that air getting sucked in and pushed out the tube (un submerged tube) will have introduced too much oxygen too the wine?

I am having trouble reading what you are trying to say, are you havingtrouble with your auto siphon?

I find it really hard to get the tube on my syphon pump. Anyone else get this? I use the simple rudemetary suck up push down out it comes contraption.

I had to cut the tube a bit to fit it over. I think for about 12 of the litres I was syphoning air was getting in the tube creating bubbles. Do you think that air getting sucked in and pushed out the tube (un submerged tube) will have introduced too much oxygen too the wine?

When I siphon I try my best to get a good flow at the beginning to avoid air being stuck in the tube. I would think that, that would add air to the wine. It may be okay if it be slight but I'm always shooting for no splashing, gurgling etc.

I don't use a siphon pump though it sounds like it would be faster. I force pressure into the carboy creating a siphon out thru the tube.

5/8" tubing will fit tightly and provide a good seal, heat it first with very hot water or a bit of boiling water to get it onto the racking cane.
3/4" tubing, for me, is too loose and while easier to put on and take off, it does not form an airtight seal and the function of the auto-siphon suffers....

i don't think a little air bubbling in the tubing is a big risk for oxidation, if you are prepping your receiving vessel properly, there will be residual sulfite gasses in it which should counteract that minimal air exposure and then some.

Latest posts

Back