Racking primary with oak?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have a system for racking a primary with chips in it without getting either chips transferring over, or tube getting clogged up while getting closer to the bottom?
Do you manually remove before the rack ? I'm using an auto-siphon for now. Plan on getting AIO soon enough though.
AJ

I now put my chips in a muslin bag (along with the grape pack).

However, before I learned that trick, I would hold the siphon ~5" above the bottom of the primary bucket at first. When I got down to the level of the lees/chips/skins, I would put a kitchen strainer like the one below into the mush, and siphon from the hole it made.

strainer.jpg

I like that. I've always siphoned down to about 5" as well. But at that point I'd use a funnel and cheesecloth folded over maybe 6-10 layers thick (all sanitized prior). Carefully stopping before the heavy lees. And just rack again in a week or so getting that last bit.
I've been all juice wine and just started kits. Didn't know if there was an accepted system that I wasn't aware of. Probably will use the mesh bag in the future.

+1 for the muslin bag. Putting the dust/chips in the muslin bag will take care of your problem.

I put a muslin bag around my auto syhon. I have one long enough to go from top to bottom. I dont get any chips in the transfer.

Nice. Another great tip. Bag on the siphon allows me to shift the bag for a clear flow if it gets gunked up at the point of suction.
Chips in bag/strainer/siphon in bag will solve that oak dilemma.
And the siphon in the bag will also be beneficial when racking from a secondary. I wouldn't have to stop the flow to be careful of the lees and then not be able to get an auto going again. Current secondary has almost 2" right now built up. Will be giving it a shot this w/e.

a small piece of panty hose rubber banded to the the base of the auto siphon.

Latest posts

Back