Racking? no racking until bottling Pinot Noir / Syrah?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdawg

Junior
Reaction score
Hi was watching a video the other day and the winemaker mentioned that you might choose not to rack a Pinot Noir or Syrah wine until you bottle. I of course made a Syrah this year and racked 4 times ( including racking before bottling) .

Anyone have advice on racking for Pinot or Syrah ?

Hi was watching a video the other day and the winemaker mentioned that you might choose not to rack a Pinot Noir or Syrah wine until you bottle. I of course made a Syrah this year and racked 4 times ( including racking before bottling) .

Anyone have advice on racking for Pinot or Syrah ?

My advice is to rack, and often.

That dead yeast can cause a variety of problems!

I rack all of my wines 3 or 4 times sometimes 5 times. I like my wine.

Richard L.

Always rack gross lees and generally another racking. After that I see it as choice. Many wine are aged on the lees ('sur lie' method) but there is some risk involved.
If you are going to age on the lees, stir once in a while.

What are you referring to when you say "racking off the lees"? I hear this but not sure what it means

Lees is the sediment that collects on the bottom of your fermenting bucket, carboy, demijohn. Etc.

ForumRunner_20121017_084243.jpg

Always rack gross lees and generally another racking. After that I see it as choice. Many wine are aged on the lees ('sur lie' method) but there is some risk involved.
If you are going to age on the lees, stir once in a while.

Gross lees are potentially harmful to wine and should be removed. Beyond that, removing fine lees is mostly a matter of personal preference. In part, it depends on the length of time you're considering. A few months of some fine lees sitting in the carboy is generally no big deal.

There are, however, two other points to keep in mind. First, racking is somewhat detrimental to the wine in that it strips some flavor, adds oxygen, and usually requires topping. Thus, superfluous racking should be avoided.

Second, sur lie aging is really for whites (Chardonnay, in particular) and could impart flaws in reds. I think stirring does help in this regard.

Tony P.

Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between gross lees and fine lees?

Gross lees look gross. - jk

Gross lees is all the yeast stuff left over when you do your first raking. Pretty lumpy stuff.

Fine lees is the smooth, almost like dust, layer that forms in subsequent rackings.

Back