WineXpert Racking, It’s fun!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promo0

Junior
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a Chilean Malbec (Vintners reserve) and it looks like you only rack from the primary to secondary and that's it. Of course I'll rack to the primary (with spigot) for bottling, but can I do an additional rack just to get it off the lees to have more space for topping wine? Anyone do this?

Thanks,

Promo

I do now. Once it has been stabilized and topped up and left for a week or
so, I see no reason why it cannot be racked off the main lees so long as it is
topped up again.

Of course it may mean that it takes longer to clear the remainer, like another
three weeks because everything will be pretty mixed up again. In fact, I am
working on a WE Murray River which says to do exactly that, rack after 8
days and top up again.

What's the function of topping up? I've seen several different answers.

thanks

It reduces the exposure to oxygen and reduces the chance of oxidation and other things. Topping up, it's a good thing!
smiley36.gif

promo0 said:
I'm currently working on a Chilean Malbec (Vintners reserve) and it looks like you only rack from the primary to secondary and that's it. Of course I'll rack to the primary (with spigot) for bottling, but can I do an additional rack just to get it off the lees to have more space for topping wine? Anyone do this?

Thanks,

Promo

Not sure I understand why you want to rack to have more room to top off?

The Vintner reserve kits do not have the extra racking racking step in the instructions as with the larger 15 L kits because of the smaller amount of actual juice which produce less solids in the wine.

It certainly wont hurt to rack it again but I look at every unnecessary racking as a small loss ofwine and then I haveto top off again with more wine....but that is my personal take on it!

I rack that extra step because I am so poor at getting the wine out of the
caboy during bottling. If I rack after 8 days I have only 1/8th inch lees at the
bottom when it comes to bottling time. Less room for stupid error (to which
I am prone)

I always rack from my carboy back to a primary fermeter and bottle from that. That just about elimiates the chace of any of that sediment geeting into any of my bottles. The little wineI lose I believe is worth it.

I rack and rack and rack until there is no sediment at the bottom at all - not even a dusting. Because with my luck, I move the carboy the wrong way, and whoosh! It's all mixed in with everything.
smiley36.gif

It takes a lot longer this way, but since I'm bound to mix or directly stick the racking tube IN the sediment, I just rack off a couple of times more.

I top off with a similar wine.I ususally don't need too much. I have a small trick to make sure you rack the least amount of sediment off your wines:

2005-11-16_061242_racking.jpg

I put my carboys on a sort of a tilt in that I put it on the ledge of my wine-table (the table has a a raised edge, so nothing falls off). That way, all the sediment naturally falls down to the lower side.

When I am ready to rack, I turn the carboy slowly around and stick the racking tube to the lower side (which was the higher sidebefore), where there is practically no sediment.

It's a great method for me. And, it's easy to do.
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

Martina that a great idea
smiley32.gif

When I bild my wine room Im going to put a raised edge on my table, Thanks

Finally...
Murray River Reserve... Racked once and ready for a couple of weeks sitting
to clear properly before bottling. Quick taste left me wanting more. Shame
it's not going to be ready for Christmas. More like Easter.

2005-11-27_200139_murray.jpg

I'm worried though that there is a little bit of room at the top. This wine had
a significant amount of lees. I put two bottles of Pinot Grigio in this to top it
up. They seem similar in character. The first was a "muddy bottom" that I
had specifically for the purpose. The second was a real bottle of wine.
Broke my heart.

I could top up with water. Should I?

No more space than you have there Peter water would be fine to top up with

I topped up with water last night. Took about 8 oz. I was impressed with
my test taste during the first racking. This one should turn out well. I have
enough in the cellar to try a bottle once a month to check on progress.

And here is the label.
The image is actually a painting of the Murray River by Artist Hugh Guthrie.

2005-11-29_160011_murray.jpg

Hi Peter,

I really like the picture on your label.....very nice painting.

I will be receiving a VR Australian Riverland Reserve kit probably tomorrow and from the description I am very anxious to try it. It is from the Murray River region of Australia.

Your labelwill look very nice with that beautiful golden wine background!!

I need to get busy and work on more labels...it's been a while.

Great Job!!!!!! RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Peter - you have a beautiful product, both the wine and the label. You did
well to associate wine with locale on the label. It is really special.

Bill

Ramona,

The VR Australian Riverland Reserve is an awesome wine! We bottled it in July and it's just about gone! We sweetened it a bit before bottling. PWP said it smelled like the water from the bottom of a river in August,
smiley11.gif
but sweetening it took all of that away andbrought out the fruit flavors. Everyone has loved it!

Back