Racking issues.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jswo23

Reaction score
Dumb old me, didnt realize before starting the process, that my racking cane wasnt long enough for the 6 gallon carboy i planned to tackle. I racked as much as possible before taking a food grade 5 gallon bucket i had laying around, cleaned, and sanitized, dumped the remainder into it. this caused an issue, and i know the only fix to my issue that i had is buying a longer racking cane in the future. My main question is, do you believe the amount of oxygen introduced to the the last bit of the wine is bad, if so is there any steps i can take to fix this. Im new to wine making and read that large exposure of oxygen can really screw up a batch. I'm currently letting the batch sit in the 7.9 gal jug i originally fermented it in.

Which racking phase? If you hadn't yet degassed I'd not worry about the small amount that was poured.

1- remove racking cane from syphon hose.
2- insert length of stainless steel or thick gauge copper wire into hose to keep the hose straight. leave 1/2 inch of the wire sticking out the end of hose.
3- ta dah! instant long racking cane!

Which racking phase? If you hadn't yet degassed I'd not worry about the small amount that was poured.

Bill To answer your question this was a rack to get the left over lees out before bottling i do plan on bottling and age the bottles for more than six months so i plan to add more sulfate before the deed

another quick option would be to cut the racking cane and place a 5/16'' id hose over the both of them - extending your racking cane

I would really consider purchasing longer ones -

Latest posts

Back