Racking into smaller carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulsey24

Junior
Reaction score
I came across some 5 gallon food grade buckets and I have alot of one gallon glass carboys...Will it hurt to rack the 5 gallon batch into one gallon carboys with airlocks for secondary fermentation? Also do yall use an airlock during primary fermentation or just cover it with something?

Some use airlock on primary others don't - i personally don't as the yeast like the presence of oxygen.

Yes you can rack into smaller carboys. Just make sure when you add anything - fpac, k-meta, sorbate, etc you ration it out accordingly.

It seems that fermentation goes smoother (sometimes quicker) if I leave the airlock off the primary. Still, I've made batches both ways and never had any problems.

It will work both ways until you start getting into bigger volume and then ou really need to get more 02 to your wine. I do 6 gallon batches all the time with 8 gallon bucket and airlock but when you are getting into 12 gallon batches and bigger you really need to remove the cover for 02 and to release the heat that the fermentatin is generating.

It will work both ways until you start getting into bigger volume and then ou really need to get more 02 to your wine. I do 6 gallon batches all the time with 8 gallon bucket and airlock but when you are getting into 12 gallon batches and bigger you really need to remove the cover for 02 and to release the heat that the fermentatin is generating.

funny that u mention this wade...i have not noticed "heat" until the beujolais that got yeast pitched yesterday morning. when stirring this evening, i could feel the heat...i thought i was just having a hot flash:bt
i've always used a towel on any and all batches...

Yes you can rack into smaller carboys. Just make sure when you add anything - fpac, k-meta, sorbate, etc you ration it out accordingly.

On this thought wouldn't it be better when adding an f-pak or anything else to rack the 1 gallons jugs back into the primary add what you need to add stir and then put back into 1 gallon jugs.

I have been debating doing this because I have 32 1 gallon jugs sitting around waiting for larger batches of wine next year. (I got a steal on the $1.00 a case, 4 to a case)

You would be better doing this but just make sure your S02 level is up when doing this move to bucket.

So if doing it this way, add the k-meta(which I dont use) to the bucket first then rack the wine into the bucket. Is that what you are saying?

PS: wade come read the chokecherry thread of mine, whooooa lol

Latest posts

Back