Racking, go ahead or wait?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbuck

Reaction score
The instructions on my Vintner's Harvest fruit wine base indicated I should move from the primary to secondary when the SG reaches 1.040. If I make the transfer tonight I will be at about 1.044 but if I don't do it tonight I will have to wait untill after work tomorrow and am guessing it will be 1.03?. Should I go ahead tonight with the SG a little high or wait untill tomorrow when it will likley be a little low? Thanks for your guidance.

I'd leave it, no reason to rush it. You're wine should be fine. Do you have an airlock on it? If not, I'd add one just in case.

I'd leave it, no reason to rush it. You're wine should be fine. Do you have an airlock on it? If not, I'd add one just in case.

Yes, had an air lock on it since adding yeast. From what I have read putting the lid and air lock on was not necessary but this is my first batch and you could not believe the entertainment value I have got from watching it bubble. Simple things occupy simple minds LOL.

Simple things occupy simple minds LOL.

You're preaching to the choir brother.

The air lock isn't so important in the beginning stages but becomes more important as your SG drops as the layer of CO2 protecting the must from oxygen.

Sounds like you're doing fine.

Thats a lot earlier then I like to rack as it is usually still violent at that sg so youd better have lots of headroom in that carboy or split it into 2 carboys. I will usually let it fermemt out dry in primary or rack over at 1.015 but stir everything up so as to not leave behind viable yeast in the primary making the wine struggl to finish fermenting or stop early.

Latest posts

Back