Racking from vc barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheesh

Reaction score
I need to rack my pinot noir, but it's in a spiedel vc tank, which I want to return it after racking...I have other tanks, but don't like the gaskets on them....how would you do this in a way such as to limit air exposure? Thx

There really is no way to totally eliminate air exposure while racking the wine. Just rack it to another tank, clean the one you want to rerack into and rack back into that one. Do it as quickly as you can and be sure your sulfite levels are adequate to protect it during the moves.

?....I have other tanks, but don't like the gaskets on them...Thx

What volume tank do you have? Why the fear of O2? If your aging this in stainless with oak adjuvants, it might need some O2 exposure.

If you want to avoid O2 then You have to get another tank with a good enough seal to fill it with inert gas, then rack into that inert gas tank. If you don't trust the seals then have a constant sparge of inert gas when you are racking to reduce O2 exposure. Of course, for safety, you will need a well ventilated room if your going to leave the inert gas running!

Latest posts

Back