racking from small bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyntheef

grunt
Reaction score
I racked off a 6 gal carboy recently, mostly into a 5 gal carboy, and some into a 1/3 gal jug. Basically what was left was the nasty, which ended up in a 1/2 gal jug and a .750 L so as to not have unneccesary headspace. A couple days later, there looks to be a good quantity of clear juice separated from the lees in those bottles. Probably about 2 liters.

I haven't had much luck racking out of small bottles before as i seem to get into the bottom way to fast with a 3/8 siphon hose. But I don't want to just mess up or waste some good wine.
I thought maybe I could use something like a 1/8 hose to rack off smaller bottles to gain control. Has anyone tried this or is there some other method that I could try.

I haven't seen any hose this small on any of the websites I visit. Does anyone know where it could be found?

Thanks Wade, I do have one of those but just didn't think it would work.
But I will give it a try.

I have them installed o all my hoses to slow things down towards the end.

I have a mini-auto siphon. its only a foot tall, narrower racking cane and tubing is used, and it still has the 'nub' on the end to keep it off the sediment. And since its a smaller hose, it racks more slowly.

works well in 1 gallon jugs.

i was all set to use the clamp, but found some cheap and suitable tubing while i was out.

went ahead and tried it to see how it would work for future reference, and i have to say, it worked quite nicely. i was able to put the edge of the 1/8 hose about 1/4 inch off of sediment without drawing any up. granted, it took a little bit longer, but i'm pretty happy not to be dumping out as much wine.

Latest posts

Back