Racking from primary to secondary.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Miller

Too many hobbies
Reaction score
When racking from primary to secondary, what is the preferred method? Do you want to leave as much of the lees as possible in the primary, take some of the lees, or transfer all of the lees into the secondary?

What variety of wine are you making. That has a lot to do with the process along with is it from just juice, skins included?

Provide more details about the variety of wine and how long it's been in the bucket fermenting.

You'll get better, more appropriate responses with more info on the wine you are making.

leave as much of the lees as possible especially if making wine from grapes. the first racking after press for wine made from grapes should be done within three days these lees are considered "gross" lee. they contain dead yeast live yeast and material. live yeast try to consume the lees and create major aroma and taste problems. follow on lines considered fine lees are some times used to enhance the wine and are also required if doing MLF.

I was asking in general. Didn't occur to me that various wines would be different, thus the question in the beginners forum! I'm not making a wine at the moment, but have made various fruit wines and wines from juice kits. Some of the fruit wines from steam juiced fruit, others from the raw fruit. With the juice wines, am I right in thinking they don't really have a Gross Lee's so don't have to be as concerned with racking off the Lee's? Thanks

the lees from juice fermentation are not as extensive as those from fruit or grapes. none the less dead yeast will accumulate during the fermentation. when doing the first rack all of the lees need to be left behind to avoid the risk of bad odor and taste.

As salcoco states - separating out dead yeast and other debris is important to protect the wine. Even with fruit wines like peach, or apple with a lot of pulp, you have to balance extracting all the flavor and sugars out with removing yeast and other debris that will damage your wine.

Latest posts

Back