Racking from one carboy to another carboy and adding campden tablets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay2020

Junior
Reaction score
My kit instructions say to wait 3 weeks to several months before racking into another carboy and adding campden tablets.

It's been about 3 weeks, but some of these have hardly cleared at all.

I would like to rack off the lees into another carboy but let them continue aging (without sitting on so much lees.)

Do I need to add the campden tablets each time I rack? Or do I rack off the lees into another carboy without adding the campden tablets for now, and then only add the campden tablets when I rack again 2 to 3 months from now?

My kit instructions say to wait 3 weeks to several months before racking into another carboy and adding campden tablets.

It's been about 3 weeks, but some of these have hardly cleared at all.

I would like to rack off the lees into another carboy but let them continue aging (without sitting on so much lees.)

Do I need to add the campden tablets each time I rack? Or do I rack off the lees into another carboy without adding the campden tablets for now, and then only add the campden tablets when I rack again 2 to 3 months from now?
Rack off of your lees and top up your carboy. You won’t need to add sulfite for 2-3 months.

Rack off of your lees and top up your carboy. You won’t need to add sulfite for 2-3 months.

Thank you! So when I do add the campden tablets in 2-3 months, do I back sweeten at that time?

Thank you! So when I do add the campden tablets in 2-3 months, do I back sweeten at that time?

Your sulfite will protect the wine from organic invaders and oxidation for three months, so add it at the rate of 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons every three months, even if you rack a time or two during the three month period. Keep it topped up to within an inch of the underside of your bung / airlock.

Allow the wine to clear and degas, these two things go hand in hand, as your wine will not clear completely until the CO2 Is gone. Once it’s clear and gas free, it’s a good time to do your sweetening. Work the timing out so you can do it in conjunction with your 3 month sulfite addition, and you’ll need to add potassium sorbate at the same time, but prior to adding sugar. The sorbate will prevent the added sugar from fermenting. Let it sit a couple weeks to make sure it’s stable, then bottle.

and you’ll need to add potassium sorbate at the same time, but prior to adding sugar.

OK so like some minutes/hours prior? Or like a day/days prior?

How long between adding the potassium sorbate should I wait before adding sugar?

Back