Racking & Filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, Dawg.................what are your thoughts on my 24 day old SP smelling yeasty and musty with a SG of 1.020? Is this an OK thing or not in your opinion? Yes, I am anxious to try the AIO because I'm too small to juggle those 5-6 gal. glass carboys. I am so glad I learned about the AIO on this site!
yes more than likely them smells is co2 coming from your wine, when you use steves pump it's vacuum will pull out the gases in your wine, and i'm way to broken down to pittle around with full carboys anymore, but with your AIO pump you cane rack, degas and filter all at once, it uses a 2&1/2 by 10" filter, i buy mine on e-bay, if you need the link i can look it up, most on there are to high but there is a couple that are reasonable, i use only spun polypropylene filters, paper can impart taste,,, polypropylene wont, plus you can wash them in k-meta put in a gallon baggie and freeze to use again, 1 micron for whites, and 5 microns for reds,,,
Dawg

yes more than likely them smells is co2 coming from your wine, when you use steves pump it's vacuum will pull out the gases in your wine, and i'm way to broken down to pittle around with full carboys anymore, but with your AIO pump you cane rack, degas and filter all at once, it uses a 2&1/2 by 10" filter, i buy mine on e-bay, if you need the link i can look it up, most on there are to high but there is a couple that are reasonable, i use only spun polypropylene filters, paper can impart taste,,, polypropylene wont, plus you can wash them in k-meta put in a gallon baggie and freeze to use again, 1 micron for whites, and 5 microns for reds,,,
Dawg
Yes, I would like the link. I hope you are right that the smell is just the CO2. Certainly, I will find out soon enough. Thankyou for your input.

Latest posts

Back