Racking & Degassing Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mschooley53

Reaction score
I transferred a batch to a carboy and added KMeta, Sorbate and Sparkolloid. It is starting to clear after a couple days but I suspect I still have gas.

My question is can I rack it into another carboy and degas and then let it clear again? Or should I wait until it's fully cleared to degas?

I have quite a bit of sediment in the bottle of my carboy now.

If you just added Sparkolloid you need to wait the prescribed time (Sparkolloid instructions) before you rack it. THEN you can de-gass it.

Are you going to back-sweeten it? Normally you don't add Sorbate until just before you are ready to back-sweeten and bottle. Sorbate can, over time impart some flavors that some people don't care for so that's one reason to wait on adding Sorbate. (That's for future batches since you've already added it.)

So
1) Wait for Sparkolloid to finish doing it's thing
2) Rack to a clean carboy (If you are using an allinone pump that should do a majority of the de-gassing as you rack it. )
3) De-gass - if you just use a siphon/racking cane to rack the wine
4) Wait at least another month before racking again or bottling. (Most folks wait 2-3 months between racking during the aging time.)

Last edited:
If you just added Sparkolloid you need to wait the prescribed time (Sparkolloid instructions) before you rack it. THEN you can de-gass it.

Are you going to back-sweeten it? Normally you don't add Sorbate until just before you are ready to back-sweeten and bottle. Sorbate can, over time impart some flavors that some people don't care for so that's one reason to wait on adding Sorbate. (That's for future batches since you've already added it.)

So
1) Wait for Sparkolloid to finish doing it's thing
2) Rack to a clean carboy (If you are using an allinone pump that should do a majority of the de-gassing as you rack it. )
3) De-gass - if you just use a siphon/racking cane to rack the wine
4) Wait at least another month before racking again or bottling. (Most folks wait 2-3 months between racking during the aging time.)

I should have specified that I'm making Skeeter Pee. It calls for adding KMeta, Sorbate and Sparkolloid all at the same time... wait 2 weeks and then rack to backsweeten. So I will be backsweeting it once it clears. So maybe I can degas before I backsweeten?

Also, could I rack from my carboy now because I have quite a bit of sediment or should I wait until it's clear regardless of the sediment?

Rack after the time recommended to allow Sparkolloid to do it's thing.
Again - if you stir or whip to de-gas now - you're going to mix up all that sediment.

Don't de-gas until you are into the new carboy without that sediment.

Skeeter Pee is a somewhat different animal but I still wonder why one would add the K-meta, Sparkolloid and Sobate when the wine is still dropping a lot of sediment. I would think you'd rack off those lees then add the 3 things to further clarify. Again that's water under the bridge but just for future reference. Let all the gravity clearing occur before adding your chemical clearing agents. K-Meta of course is the defender of your wine so the standard practice is to add it at every other racking.

Latest posts

Back