Racking Cane and Tube Dirty

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deneed4spd

Junior
Reaction score
Doing a winexpert kit where I transferred from secondary to bucket to degas. After degas, I added the clearing solution and then racked to a carboy. In the process small grains of wine sediment covered the insides of my racking cane and hose. I tried washing it out as best I could but the small grains of sediment are stuck on. Any idea on how to remove the small grains? I got a tube cleaner but it doesn't come for another two weeks and I want to transfer wine to final carboys for bulk aging. If I sterilize using one step and k-meta, do you think having the small gains will infect the wine?

I have had success in tying a small piece of cloth to the end of a strong, flexible wire then feeding the wire though hoses and tubes and pulling the cloth through. I do this a couple of times and it works well with a little bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Rinse well afterward with hot water.

Best thing would be to not allow anything to attach itself to the inside of tubing! Rinse immediately after each step of any process...

I soak mine in water with One Step added for 24 hours and the build in the tubes breaks up and slips away by siphoning and running clean water through.

I soak in oxyclean and usually all that rinses right off. If it doesn't into the garbage it goes.

Usually with my wine/beer orders I add 5-10 ft of extra hose of the 3/8 thermoplastic each time to build up a stockpile.

Latest posts

Back