Racking and P. Sorbate questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsf77

Reaction score
I have a couple of carboys. One I think needs racking. I think it's been about 2-3 days since it has left the primary fermentation. I didn't take notes because I knew I'd remember. Funny, the first wine I made I took notes.., That has got me to thinking it was probably somewhere at or after the 4th of July. I am looking at the carboy and I see quite a few very small bubbles coming up to the top comparable to what you'd see when you de gas a wine. Should I go ahead and rack or leave it alone?

The other carboy I added P. Sorbate to it about 3 days ago. When should I add a clearing agent? (isinglass)

I looked for these answers here but they escaped me. Thanks

@gsf77 I don't know what kind(s) of wine you are making, but the below is generic enough to be broadly applicable.

On the first carboy, time does not matter as much as achieving a stable specific gravity. I suggest you take SG readings daily until they remain stable for three days in a row. Then rack.

On the second carboy, let me say that most kits (at least in my experience) have the winemaker adding fining agents immediately (or almost immediately) after adding sulphite and potassium sorbate. If you are working from a kit, I suggest you follow instructions as written.

Let us know how things turn out!

Thanks mhopkins,

The first carboy was made from a quad berry mix; raspberries, strawberries, blue berries, and black berries.

The second carboy was made from muscadines with a lot of Welch's concord juice(no additives).

I may try a kit one day just for the experience.

I would rack both carboys at k-meta at rate of 1/4tsp for 5 gallons. sorbate is not needed unless you back sweeten. you can have time do the clearing if not use Super Kleer or Durafine both same product just different name . it is two part clearing agent works within 48 hours.

@gsf77 The advice offered by @salcoco is good counsel (though instructions on my container of K-meta say 1/4 tsp for 6 gals). Given what youare making, I presume back-sweetening is part of the process, so your Sorbate is not wasted.

"The first carboy was made from a quad berry mix; raspberries, strawberries, blue berries, and black berries." Sounds like an adaptation of Dragon Blood. I have made the one you describe 4-5 times and enjoyed the outcome - refreshing on a hot afternoon! Danger Dave's original DB recipe might be helpful to you if you don't already have it - find it here:
https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/dangerdaves-dragon-blood-wine.41825/#post-466272

Latest posts

Back