racking a kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardcore

Reaction score
is it necessary? what lees would be left from a kit? or is it for a proper secondary fermentation environment?

Ther are a lot of lees from a kit, Alot of dead yeast and there are also plenty of solids in the concentrates.

and some kits more sediment than others. Grand Cru Chamblaise sets a LOT of sediment.

Don't worry too much about a clean rack until close to bottling time.

Steve

I read that on average that amount of sediment carried from each racking is something like this

Primary to first rack you will take about 50%-75% of the total sediment
second rack you will take 15%-25
Third will be about 4%-13%

so on and so forth. But I also depends on your personal skills. And how you make your wine, and what you use.

I dont think I really ever rack over any sediment on my 3rd racking.Just remeber that you should let it sit a little longer then they say so that your lees compact more and to tilt your carboy to 1 side so that when you put your racking cane in you can put it on the shallower side so as not to get as much sediment and get more wine. Cant be wasting that precious nectar!

is it necessary? what lees would be left from a kit? or is it for a proper secondary fermentation environment?
Rookies should follow the instructions when making a kit with a couple of possible exceptions. 1) reduce the oaking if you don't like oaked wines. 2) extend the time frames AFTER the wine is in a carboy AND under air-lock.

Make a couple of kits. Learn by your own experiencee. Then start making changes.

Steve

Primary to first rack you will take about 50%-75% of the total sediment
second rack you will take 15%-25
Third will be about 4%-13%

This is not of the total Sediment of the batch but that's in the carboy itself so by the time of the 3rd rack 4% would not be noticeable. it was in some book I saw at barns and noble where they break down wine making scientifically, using a Centrifuge to separate measuring every single substance. it was to expensive to buy. it was like a $140 book.

If you ask me you can read all you want and it will help but there is nothing like hands on experience and try finding out what the problem is that you are having in a book, it ust never seems to be there.

try finding out what the problem is that you are having in a book, it ust never seems to be there.

No truer words have ever been spoken lol, on any subject.

but Yeah I agree that it depends on experience and skill (even said so in my original post) I see my uncle do it all the time and I must say I wish I was that good.

Soon you will grab pebble from hand grasshopper! :)
Are you suggesting topping up with pebbles???? Some real nice ones at the local Wal-Mart. Only $.94 for a good handful. How much are marbles anyway??

Steve :D

No I am not, I meant he is learning and his Kung Fu is getting stronger! I do believe in using non-painted galss marbles to displace lost volume from racking but would never suggest using rocks as they are pourous and could never be truly sanitized.

No I am not, I meant he is learning and his Kung Fu is getting stronger! I do believe in using non-painted galss marbles to displace lost volume from racking but would never suggest using rocks as they are pourous and could never be truly sanitized.

lol I knew what you ment lol, I am a Martial arts Instructor for a free after school youth program run through the Police. When I was in school I learned a lot from the program, and now that I am older and over the age of 18, I give back as an instructor.

on another note what about smoothed rocks from a tumbler lol?

Blue belt here many years ago. Id probably be brought out on a stretcher now if I tried to do that now as I have a bad back.

I study , AikiJujutsu, IaiJutsu (quick draw sword Techniques) Kempo. I love it, but I must admit teaching leaves less time for training, and I am getting out of shape lol. Plus the class age ranges form 6-18 or until graduation from high school (up to 19) so sometime its hard to keep there focus...but its still fun.

Studied Aikido, TKD and Kempo many years ago. I have two younger brothers both of which are Black Belts in Kempo.

Latest posts

Back