Racking 1st time...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antonio58

Junior
Reaction score
I’m going to be racking for the 1st time in the next week or two. My question is can I rack into a new container using a funnel and cheese cloth. I made a Zinfendel/Merlot blend at the bottom of my containers I’ve noticed there’s a lot of seeds also. And should I put the Camden tablets in this racking or second racking in thirty days after the 1st racking. Any input would help me.

Do you have a siphon? The simplest method for racking is to use gravity. Old carboy/bucket up on a counter, new one on the floor.
Suspend the racking cane just above all the junk on the bottom of the carboy. Get your Siphon going and all the clear wine goes down into the new carboy, leaving all the junk behind.

Pouring through cheesecloth or similar doesn't work well. It will quickly get clogged and your wine won't get very clear anyway.

Yes these were grapes, I pressed on October 10th. Yes this will be my first racking, not sure what you mean by SG

Specific Gravity with the hydrometer but October 10th tells me it's finished fermenting. So to answer your question only use the tablets if you do not plan on doing an MLF. I agree with GreenEnvy a cheese cloth and funnel will clog pretty quickly. In the future you may want to consider using a strainer when you press to catch the seeds and some of the sediment. but have to warn you the strainers get clogged pretty quickly as well. I always use 2 to have one to strain while cleaning the other.

Antonio - it sounds like you could benefit from doing a little reading. There are tons of threads here on the process of making wine from fresh grapes. But, you might start with the MoreWine guide to making red wine.

https://morewinemaking.com/web_files/intranet.morebeer.com/files/wredw.pdf

I read mine for weeks before my wine grapes show up. And then refer to it constantly as I go through the process. Very informative.

Antonio - it sounds like you could benefit from doing a little reading. There are tons of threads here on the process of making wine from fresh grapes. But, you might start with the MoreWine guide to making red wine.

https://morewinemaking.com/web_files/intranet.morebeer.com/files/wredw.pdf

I read mine for weeks before my wine grapes show up. And then refer to it constantly as I go through the process. Very informative.
Thanks,this is the first year I'm doing it on my own. Always made it with my wifes father I would do the pressing and crushing since it was stored at his house he would rack it he passed away this summer so I'm doing everything at my house.

Thanks,this is the first year I'm doing it on my own. Always made it with my wifes father I would do the pressing and crushing since it was stored at his house he would rack it unfortunately he passed away this summer so I'm doing everything at my house. And I'm in a panic state at the moment worrying that I may do something wrong. Again thanks for the link and I will definitely read the info

And I'm in a panic state at the moment worrying that I may do something wrong. Again thanks for the link and I will definitely read the info

First, very sorry for your loss.

And second, don’t panic. You’ll be fine. Winemaking is the dream hobby for procrastinators. As long as you have good winemaking hygiene, you have plenty of time to figure it out.

Did your FIL have any written directions - recipes he followed to make the family wine? Otherwise, you’re going to have to find your own way - doing an MLF (when or if you do one), how much oak, tannin, etc., preferred blends. And, that’s okay. The joy is in the journey.

1st racking complete went well compared to the past wine is not as sweet this time around after 1st racking. I also blended to different grapes this time instead of one. A little darker but clear

First, very sorry for your loss.

And second, don’t panic. You’ll be fine. Winemaking is the dream hobby for procrastinators. As long as you have good winemaking hygiene, you have plenty of time to figure it out.

Did your FIL have any written directions - recipes he followed to make the family wine? Otherwise, you’re going to have to find your own way - doing an MLF (when or if you do one), how much oak, tannin, etc., preferred blends. And, that’s okay. The joy is in the journey.
OMG, jgmann67! Can I steal your quote? "Winemaking is the 'deam hobby' for procrastinators? SO TRUE!

Hello, been a while since I've been on the site. Quick update in September of 2018 we made our wine from grapes, I decided to try a blend of grapes for my wine. I usually do a Zinfendel wine I make 3 carboys and every year it has come out to our liking the wine would be a lighter shade when finished but this year we decided to do a blend Zinfendel/Merlot. I've racked it twice now the taste is okay very young still but the colour is darker and I believe it is because of the Merlot grapes that we used. My next racking which I will do in approx 30 days I will use the wine filter machine since this will be racking #3 should I add Campden Tablets again I used the tablets after the 1st racking

Yes. I add Potassium Meta every other racking. 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons. My racking interval is typically 2-3 months.

Latest posts

Back