racked from secondary??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, you now officially have a dry wine once again! Good job on being patient and getting the ferment started up again.

Thank you!! If it wasn't for everyone's help I would have been lost!!

So good to hear TMH
Its gonna be wine soon!
Have you planned your second batch yet?

Tim
oh how is the weather now?

Thanks Tim! I plan either to do strawberry or black currant for my second batch.
The weather has been warm and humid!!

Add 20-30% of #’s of fruit what was used in the primary (if you used 30# in recipe then you will need 6-9# more for the f-pac) in a large frying pan or pot. Simmer to extract all "flavor" and reduce the water from the fruit. Strain thru a kitchen strainer and add AFTER you rack and after the wine is DRY ( .990) You MUST have added k-meta and Sorbate before adding the f-pac. Once adding the f-pac you can add clearing agent. You will have to rack at least 2+ more times. Then
back sweeten to YOUR taste using simple syrup.

Ok so I'm going to stabilize and add my f pac tomorrow. I have a question as to how long do you cook the fruit down(to what consistency)? Do you add it hot or room temp? Do you stir it in? How long after adding the f pac do you add your clearing agent? I have quite a bit of sediment in the bottom of my carboy should I rack before I stabilize and add the f pac?????:a1

I would simmer (with some water) until the peaches are kinda mushy. Add just a little sugar as I find it helps. Strain, let it cool down somewhat and add stir in.
Make sure you have added Meta and Sorbate before adding. Wait a few days and add your clearing agent.
before adding remove equal amount from the carboy to make sure you have enough room. Keep in mind that you may have "extra" just keep in glass under airolck.

:usg reading today .990. stabilized and added f pac. will add clearing agent in a couple days! :br

I noticed some particles gathered up top of the carboy from the f pac. Is this normal and will eventually settle out?? After a couple of days and I add the clearing agent will I have to rack again some where down the road? I thought you had to rack a couple more times because I added a f pac:ib
Thanks for the help:hug

Oh and it seems to be very gassy

Last edited:
Have you de-gassed the wine? I make a lot of fruit wines and find that most don't need too much, but then again I am in a much warmer climate (Belize).

Usually just the rackings, stirring up, clarifying agents, etc does the trick for me. Well, except for the red wine concentrates, which tend to be more carbonated (not sure why).

What does the wine taste like? I have found that documenting taste and smell with each step helps me learn and troubleshoot along the way. I don't use F pacs so much, as I like a drier wine. I also don't want to deal with re-clearing wine, but that's just me. I have gotten into adding extracts / flavorings to boost the aroma / flavor profile (pineapple is great). EC Kraus (and others) sell additional flavorings (for liqueurs). I also use a liquid oak essence that is quite nice. Just thought I would share my dirty little secrets :).

I noticed some particles gathered up top of the carboy from the f pac. Is this normal and will eventually settle out?? After a couple of days and I add the clearing agent will I have to rack again some where down the road? I thought you had to rack a couple more times because I added a f pac:ib
Thanks for the help:hug

Oh and it seems to be very gassy
Degassing will help clear you wine. It's common to see floaties after adding the f-pac. Wait at least 2 weeks sfter adding the clearing agents before racking.
How does it taste?
Does it need back sweetening?

When adding the clearing agent do you dissolve in a cup of boiling water first before adding to your wine??:?:?

It depends on the fining agent used but most of the time the answer is yes.

When adding the clearing agent do you dissolve in a cup of boiling water first before adding to your wine??:?:?

Some yes some no ck the label. The powdered I dissolve in warm water. The sparlolloid I boil according to directions. The 2 part just pour in.

Some yes some no ck the label. The powdered I dissolve in warm water. The sparlolloid I boil according to directions. The 2 part just pour in.

Forgot to mention it is sparlolloid! Thanks for the help!

Racked again today. It has been two weeks since I added clearing agent!

ok, so i'm totally jealous as tmh made no reference to her fermentation peaches stinking, lol.
how is it looking after clearing? would love to see a pic. as mine is still on secondary and very cloudy...you give me hope:)

Back