racked from secondary??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmh4064

northwoodsgal
Reaction score
So i racked my peach wine from my secondary into another 5 gallon carboy at a sg reading of 3 days in a row at around 1000 maybe a tad less. I topped it off with natural juice. My directions on the kit said to add campdon tablets but I wasn't sure on this. It doesn't seem to be bubbling to much at all now. It is at 57 degrees. Is this fine or should it be warmer. Thanks for the help.:a1

1st to cold for yeast (which one?).
2nd you toped it with juice? was that to fill the carboy? And you didn't add meta or sorbate?
Need recipe and what you did so far..
More info please..

As Tom stated seeing as how this wine was done fermenting I hope you added sorbate and sulfite before adding anything with more sugar. If you are looking to produce more alc then warmer temps are needed but also maybe you have exceeded your yeast's tolernece for alc.

this is the recipe for the peach wine. Vintner's Harvest Peach Wine base....
I'm doing the 5 gallon.
96 oz wine base
sugar
water
acid blend
yeast nutrient
pectic enzyme
wine tannin
5 campden tabs
vintners wine yeast(red star premier cuvee)
**potassium sorbate(have not added yet)
sg start 1085(primary worked at 74 degrees)
I have done the primary with mesh bag, 24hrs later added yeast. racked at sg 1030 to secondary topped with two bottles of store bought peach wine and tad of water to fill to neck added airlock put in dark basement at 57 degrees waited almost three weeks with a sg reading the past few days as 1000 and now I have racked again and topped with a cup of 100% natural juice(no sugar added) to fill to neck. The recipe says to add more campdon tabs at this time(I have not done this).The recipe says to wait until wine is clear(2-3 months and then add potassium sorbate to stablize

Last edited:
If you add juice, you are potentially just extending the fermentation. Yeast eat sugar, so adding sugar-laden juice means you are giving the yeast more to eat. So you need to either add a dry wine of the same flavor when topping up, or add water (which I don't like to do), or make sure the yeast are dead before you top up. Usually you would make sure the yeast are dead by adding the stabilizers (K-sorbate and/or K-sulphate) first, then back-sweeten with juice or syrup if that was your intention.

? were the 5 campton added pre yeast?
Did you add the 5 tabs before adding juice and after fermentation?
Is it still fermenting?
I would wait till its dry again and add the meta and sorbate. Meta and Sorbate IS needed if you plan on adding any kind of sugar (juice)

? were the 5 campton added pre yeast?
Did you add the 5 tabs before adding juice and after fermentation?
Is it still fermenting?
I would wait till its dry again and add the meta and sorbate. Meta and Sorbate IS needed if you plan on adding any kind of sugar (juice)
Yes I added the campden tabs pre yeast
no I didn't add the 5 tabs before adding the juice.
I just checked it and a bubble comes through the airlock once in awhile.

Sounds like fermentation, but you have to check with your hydrometer. Get a reading now, check again in a week, see if it's changing.

Once it's done fermenting (i.e. dry) again, THEN add the K-meta and Sorbate to stabilize it.

Ok so I took a sg reading it is at 1000. I will check in a week.
So let me see if I understanding all this at what I done so far and shouldn't do next time.....
I can top with natural juice or store bought wine when I tranferred from primary to secondary because still fermenting. When transferring secondary to another carboy I should have topped with store bought wine. When fermenting has stopped or (dry) then stabilize with meta(campden tabs) and potassium sorbate.
The temp in the dark basement is 57 degrees is this ok???

I'm still learning and I appreciate everyone's help so far.
Hopefully one day I will be the one helping others;)

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you have it.

The little bit of juice you added wasn't much in a 6-gallon carboy, so even if you shut things down now by adding your stabilizers it probably wouldn't have noticeable affect on the outcome, but I would just let it run.

Ok so I took a sg reading it is at 1000. I will check in a week.
So let me see if I understanding all this at what I done so far and shouldn't do next time.....
I can top with natural juice or store bought wine when I tranferred from primary to secondary because still fermenting. When transferring secondary to another carboy I should have topped with store bought wine. When fermenting has stopped or (dry) then stabilize with meta(campden tabs) and potassium sorbate.

I'm still learning and I appreciate everyone's help so far.
Hopefully one day I will be the one helping others;)
You CAN'T top it off with any juice without having added Meta and sorbate. (your typo?)
Topping off is OK with same kind of wine.
Now, the wine should go lower to around .990. Once there for several days add the meta and sorbate. Now is the time to add any flavoring like a f-pac. Once added then add clearing agent.

You CAN'T top it off with any juice without having added Meta and sorbate. (your typo?)
Topping off is OK with same kind of wine.
Now, the wine should go lower to around .990. Once there for several days add the meta and sorbate. Now is the time to add any flavoring like a f-pac. Once added then add clearing agent.
Thanks jdeere and Tom!
So I should have added those campden tabs as my instructions stated when I racked last night and them topped off with juice??
Or stayed away from the juice all together and topped with a like wine?

Not sure what a f pac is and why would I add this and also I should do this step (f-pac & clearing)after the meta and sorbate??

Last edited:
If you want your wine dry then add a like wine to top off.
I dont remember what you were making so, since you added juice I guess it a fruit wine.
F-pac is a flavor pack adding flavor to your wine aded after you add meta and sorbate.

I'm making peach wine from Vintners wine base.
so this f-pac is something you make and add?? If so any help on this would be helpful!!

Get some fresh peaches and simmer like I said in directions. You can search for a copy here

Yea I should have dont that months ago. I think I turned alot of winemakers to this as they still ask HOW.

Ok so it has been a week and I took a second sg reading and it went from 1000 to 1010. Fermenting more than it was a week ago. So I'm guessing I just ride it out for awhile????:?:?:?

Ok so it has been a week and I took a second sg reading and it went from 1000 to 1010. Fermenting more than it was a week ago. So I'm guessing I just ride it out for awhile????:?:?:?

:h

The SG can't go up if it's fermenting and you haven't added anything. My guess is that your juice, which is heaver, sank to the bottom, in other words it just wasn't stirred up very well when you did your earlier reading.

Yes, just let it go while it's fermenting. Maybe give it a GENTLE stir to make sure everything is mixed together, and let the yeast eat that sugar. Eventually your SG should go back under 1.000, probably down to 0.996 or so, and the fermenting will stop on it's own. THAT is when you add your stabilizers and start to clarify.

Just FYI, you are going to have a pretty strong (high alcohol) wine by the sounds of it when you are done. Might turn out to be a good mixer!

Latest posts

Back