Racked a 2nd time and the air lock is bubbling

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

orejunky

Reaction score
So I racked my wine for a 2nd time last night, because I had yeast still at the bottom of the demijon. But I come home from work today and the airlock is bubbling....should I be worried?

vacuumpumpman

Vendor
Sponsor
Reaction score
So I racked my wine for a 2nd time last night, because I had yeast still at the bottom of the demijon. But I come home from work today and the airlock is bubbling....should I be worried?
No - What is your hydrometer reading ?

I'm sure it is not done thru fermentation just yet

orejunky

Reaction score
When I got it tested at magnotta he said it's done fermenting, but it looks like it's still trying to do something. The sample he tested though was taking before I put in some anti oxidants around Nov 6.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
It could easily be CO2 escaping.

The magnotta buckets use ec1118 and are usually done fermenting in a week (plus minus a couple days).

How old is it that you're racking a second time?

orejunky

Reaction score
Two months...I'm only racked the second time to get the excess yeast from the bottom

orejunky

Reaction score
But I thought the antioxidants stop all processes where co2 is being produced

cimbaliw

8 year veteran
Reaction score
It's probably just naturally degassing. CO2 production maybe stopped but it still needs to come out of solution.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
But I thought the antioxidants stop all processes where co2 is being produced
CO2 is still suspended in the wine from the fermentation. Take a bit to get out. Give it time. I think magnotta estimates 4 months before bottling.

What juice bucket did you chose?

orejunky

Reaction score
Oh really?...on another note I bought a bottle of house white to top up which is a bit sweeter than my pinto grigio. Could that be it as well? Maybe the yeast is still working on the top up wine.

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Oh really?...on another note I bought a bottle of house white to top up which is a bit sweeter than my pinto grigio. Could that be it as well? Maybe the yeast is still working on the top up wine.
Failing to mention that you added sugar to the wine is significant. It's best when you are looking for advice / help, to furnish all pertinent information so that you get the right advice the first time around. If yo added sweet wine, you're probably seeing renewed fermentation, depending upon what "antioxidants" are.

What exactly are the antioxidants you've added to your wine?

Invest a few dollars in a hydrometer, it'll cost you less than driving to have a test run, and it's invaluable to monitor fermentation progress.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
You picked a sweetened wine for top-up or a dry wine?
Adding sugars back in could restart fermentation (even at a small level) unless you've stabilized with potasium sorbate.

orejunky

Reaction score
So I had a talk with Festa Wine. So I don't have anything to worry about. Even though I added a sweetened wine, all of the yeast is dead. Festa Juice is made that after the 1st 30 days, all of the yeast that is able to produce alcohol is dead and that what is bubbling is probably suspended CO2 (as discussed earlier). He said that Festa Juice could take up to 6 months for all CO2 to be expended. So that made me relax. I topped up again (with dry wine) capped it with an air lock and i will see it next week.

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
So I had a talk with Festa Wine. So I don't have anything to worry about. Even though I added a sweetened wine, all of the yeast is dead. Festa Juice is made that after the 1st 30 days, all of the yeast that is able to produce alcohol is dead and that what is bubbling is probably suspended CO2 (as discussed earlier). He said that Festa Juice could take up to 6 months for all CO2 to be expended. So that made me relax. I topped up again (with dry wine) capped it with an air lock and i will see it next week.
I don't know of a genetically engineered yeast that dies after 30 days, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If you had any live yeast cells in there when you added the sweet wine, they multiplied and converted the sugar to alcohol. Ultimately, your wine will be dry again, and if / when it is, you won't need sorbate as long as you don't add anything to it with sugar in it. A hydrometer reading will tell the tale.

Is it safe to assume that the antioxidant you added is potassium metabisulfite?

orejunky

Reaction score
yeah...i might have got that messed up where the all of the sugar is eaten by the yeast present. So basically I have to wait a little while longer for my wine. Not a big deal either way. thanks everyone.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
I have a Magnotta Riesling kit on the go right now. While it looks very clear and I racked a second time: I've still got some fall-out of sediment. I gave it a stir about two weeks ago and got quite a bit of CO2 bubbling but there's been zero airlock action since.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
Invest a few dollars in a hydrometer, it'll cost you less than driving to have a test run, and it's invaluable to monitor fermentation progress.
Best advice yet.