Rack just before bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phermenter

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle a Winexpert Mezza Luna White kit, and I'm wondering: Do most of you rack to a clean carboy or bucket before bottling or just bottle straight from in the carboy it's been clearing in?

I had planned on bottling it last weekend (instructions, visual signs said it was time) but when I moved it to a clean carboy it stirred up sediment. Maybe I was just being greedy and not wanting to leave much behind.

Anyhow, what do you all do?

I usually rack to a clean bucket before bottling. However, I don't think you need to do it again. Does your racking tube have an anti-sediment tip?

Steve

I usually rack to a clean bucket before bottling. However, I don't think you need to do it again. Does your racking tube have an anti-sediment tip?

Steve

Thanks, Steve: Yes, it's an auto siphon with the stand-off tip. I think part of the problem is that I was short on 6-gallon carboys at one point and racked to a 5 and a 1. When ready to bottle (I thought) I racked both of those to a 6 and in siphoning out of the 1-gallon jug I just used the tube (auto wouldn't fit through the neck). That's probably where I dredged up the bulk of the sediment. That's stuff's still in there, of course, but I've rested the carboy at a slight angle the past week. So I should be able to keep the sediment off to one side and out of the first 27 or 28 bottles anyway.

Jim

Do you still have a LOT of sediment? I'm a staunch auto-siphon user, and wouldn't expect musch sediment just from the 1 gallon portion.

Steve

Do you still have a LOT of sediment? I'm a staunch auto-siphon user, and wouldn't expect much sediment just from the 1 gallon portion.

Steve

I'm not sure how to define "a lot" of sediment. Let's just say the wine clouded up after racking both smaller vessels into the 6 gallon. What I keep reading is don't bottle cloudy wine unless you want to drink cloudy wine. I'm thinking, though, that I've already racked three times and maybe a fourth isn't necessary if it looks clear now, a week later.

Jim

JIm:

I am not familiar with the Mezza Luna kit so cannot guess how much sediment that you are dealing with. Here's what I would do, if it looks very clear.....

The night before bottling, move it to carefully to where you are going to bottle. Slip a 2x4 (or similar) under one side of the carboy (think carefully). Once you get the auto syphon started, slide it gently to the bottom of the carboy and leave it alone. This is easier to say than to do because it will naturally move around a bit as you change bottles.

Steve

Actually as I think about my previous response, I never bottle with sediment in the carboy or pail. I always filter my wine. Sometimes well in advance of bottling, sometimes right before.

Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back