quick question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conquistadude

Diabolical GENIUS!!!
Reaction score
It's only the day after The yeast. But I have not seen any bubbles out of the air lock. IS everything fine. I stirred it and I did get a nice sizzling sound. I just want to know if it is still ok.

Info:
SG started at 1.065
I am using a 5 gallon primary (making 4 gallons)
fresh Fruit made up of about 30 pomegranates, 6ish lbs red grapes, 2 lemons, a grapefruit, a tangerine, and 3 plums. All of it juiced.

I think you're being a wee bit impatient. check the sg in a couple more days. Visual signs of fermentation are useless.

But just in case what is the temperature of both the room and the must/wine?

Steve

Yeah I had a feeling I was being Impatient.

I think the temp in the room it is in is around 73f or so, should I move it?

Last edited:
73f is good. I tried to keep my brew room in the Ferment on Premises about 74F.

Steve

cool! just for future knowlage, What is the temp range for good fermentation?

also I my vessel is not 5 gallons it is 6. still making 4 gallons though :)

on a side note...is the airlock needed at this point or should I take it off. would that aid the process?

Last edited:
There is a wide range of acceptable temperatures. Each yeast has a different range. About 74F is pretty good for all yeasts (except beer lager yeasts). Cooler temps result in slower fermentations. Too cool will cause the yeast to go dormant. Warmer temps quicker ferments. Too warm and the yeast may die.

You should update the control panel with your location. But I will guess that you are in the USA. Your 6 US gallon (or 5 Imperial gallon or 23 litre) vessel should be fine for primary fermentation. It is too large once primary is complete.

Some people use an airlock. Others just cover with cheesecloth or a towel to keep bigs & other debris out. The airlock probably won't help or hinder the fermentation.

Steve

Oh sorry. yeah it is USA gallons. On another Note the Airlock is bubbling nicely today. I have a 5gal and a 3gal available for transfer. would the 5gal be ok or should I use the 3gal and get a 1gal and split the wine.

I appreciate all the help you have given. You have been very informative. And I thank you for all future guidance. This is the first time we have done this and Have found it to extremely Fun!

Last edited:
3 gal and a 1 gal. The goal is a small amount of headspace.

You're welcome. It is a fun & addictive hobby. I have four 23 litre (6 US gallon) batches on the go at the moment. Another kit is expected to arrive this week.

And then there's next year's plans.

Steve

good to know, I will get a 1gal. And now that I have waited a little bit I realize just how impatient I was lol, Right now the airlock is bubbling about every 8secs(on average). :D

Latest posts

Back