Quick Question/Problem!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CK55

Reaction score
So I have a couple of my old vines that don't seem to be able to ripen more than 17 brix. I wrote down the day that veraison started, then checked sugar 2 weeks later it was at 17, 2 weeks afterwards it had not moved and I had a family wedding come up so 1.5 weeks after that it's still at 17. Vines are 40 years old. Can I just assume at this point that no further ripening will take place? I'm wondering if the age of the vines is playing into it as they are vinifera wine grapes.

What is your crop load like? What type of vinefra variety?
Well we don't know all the varietals it's a sort of field blend, one is a Mission X Muscat Of Alexandria cross the others are something else we have at least 4 different varietals. We suspect one is zinfandel.

This is a pictures of a unknown grape we picked.
https://imgur.com/a/hpUWAym

Weird. Deffinetly looks like a tighter cluster of zin. Anyway if you're having a problem with sugar accumulation it's most likely crop load. 1- 1 1/2 cluster's per shoot is a good way to keep everything in balance like. As long as the plant has vigor there is no reason it shouldn't easily be able to produce 23-25 in your. Also try and reduce leaves around cluster's. It will allow more direct sunlight on cluster's and help then shrivel and desicate slightly allowing sugars to rise.

Weird. Deffinetly looks like a tighter cluster of zin. Anyway if you're having a problem with sugar accumulation it's most likely crop load. 1- 1 1/2 cluster's per shoot is a good way to keep everything in balance like. As long as the plant has vigor there is no reason it shouldn't easily be able to produce 23-25 in your. Also try and reduce leaves around cluster's. It will allow more direct sunlight on cluster's and help then shrivel and desicate slightly allowing sugars to rise.
We also had a freak bout of rain so maybe that did it.

Absolutely will ... Especially at ripening time
I just can't wait since they are starting to mildew and rot so I picked them. The seeds were not green so I'm certain they were done they are quite sweet and acidity of must is 3.5

Pick and crush and take a hygrometer reading of juice... If it still says 17 add sugar and make a Rose... If it says something different in the realm of red wine continue on with basic red wine procedures.

Pick and crush and take a hygrometer reading of juice... If it still says 17 add sugar and make a Rose... If it says something different in the realm of red wine continue on with basic red wine procedures.
It's going to be dark the juice is almost as purple as Malbec already the second the skins hit it it went dark. So I can confirm it will be a red. It came out all combined at 21 brix.

Wow. Well my advice would be to get it up to at least 12-12.5% alcohol to preserve it for future aging.

Wow. Well my advice would be to get it up to at least 12-12.5% alcohol to preserve it for future aging.
I will add sugar to make sure it ends up at 12-13% I have really high hopes, We got quite a bit of grapes we didnt pick all of them even because some were just not ripe and others were basically good to go. We got 120 pounds of grapes and have about another 30-50 pounds unripe.

Very good. You have a good concept then. I would still pick up ripe and just press immediately and make white wine from them. As well as sugar addition.

Very good. You have a good concept then. I would still pick up ripe and just press immediately and make white wine from them. As well as sugar addition.
I didnt because 1 day wont ruin anything I just wanted to hear what you guys have to say about it before i do that.

One of the mystery grapes, has a cluster that looks very close to cabernet franc, but its very tight, the berries were super tight, much tighter than any grape i have seen in my life, and the second the juice hit the skin it turned a deep dark inky purple like malbec but darker than malbec. Really made me wonder what the heck it is.

Cab franc is very loose clustered with very thick skins. Petit sirah Is the only other super dark varietal that comes to mind. Very tight cluster and was an experimental varietal in the California area.

I planted Cabernet franc, I am aware of the clusters. I will have to consider Petit sirah I've been doing a list of potential candidates

Latest posts

Back