Quick Concentrate Questions.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDRAutoworks

Reaction score
Actually two questions first being when making a batch from 100% juice concentrate do you add water as the directions say on the side of the can?

Next anyone have a good white grape/raspberry recipe. I've found one but always like to look over a few more before I start.

Thanks,
Jerry

Concentrate tips

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3515
Heres a basic way to go. I have made alot of wine out of concentrates. The most important thing is to use about 3 to 4 cans per galon. Use 3 cans and add enough water to make a gallon. The thread above is a pretty good guiidline. Make sure you read the label and be sure there is no sulfites or any other preservatives listed. You may have a hard time or no chance at all on getting it to begin fermentation. Always be sure to use 100% juice, a juice cocktail MAY ferment, but juice is what we make wine from. There really is no "recipe" for grae rasp as you asked but the above recipe in the thread should get you going, it will work for what ever juice you choose to use. And the last thing is use a hydrometer and when using a juice concentrate, keeping the startin SG around 1.080 or so. If you want to make rocket fuel go for it but the taste is gonna be effected, drink it a little less alcohol and drink more.
Troy
:) Also scoll down and look for similar threads and also use the search feature in here you may be able to find answers to your questions before someone has a chance to get back at you and give you an answer. Good luck to you. Stay in touch.

Last edited:
WOW, Thank you very much that was very good information. As far as the rocked fuel thing goes I do know all too well. :d

My first batch I had a dumb ider to restart what I thought was a dead primary and added sugar and more than one time. Now I have watermelon/strawberry Everclear...LOL

Thanks again,
Jerry

Ok new update.... Just got done making up my 'must' and after taking SG readings and adding my sugar I read the label on my concentrate. SOB it contains 'sulfiting agents' to 'maintain flavor'.

So should I dump it and start over or....

I am thinking with the 28oz. of fresh organic raspberries I may have a shot.

Here is what I've done so far....

3 - Cans of Old Orchard White Grape Concentrate
28oz - Frozen organic Raspberries
3/4t - Acid blend
1t - Peptic Enzyme
1t - Yeast Nutrient
21T - fine sugar (this got me to a 1.095 SG)
48oz - Bottled water

Ok with that out of the way I am sitting at 81*F in the primary with no yeast. I did not add a campten tablet. I am thinking that in about 12 hours mixing 6 oz of must/juice and 6 oz of water heated to 105*F and adding the Lalvin 1118. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes and pitch into the must.

So guys and gals what say you??? Continue on or pitch the batch and find a non-sulfited concentrate?

Thanks for the help,
Jerry

Jerry?

Does it list the actual preservative on the can?.. ie: preservative 220? A sulphite is like a campden tablet , a sorbate is to inhibit fermentation in the can.

preservative 220 is the one to keep your eyes peeled for.. it's a sorbate.

Allie

Last edited:
Allie,

It list as:

Ingredients:
Grape Juice Concentrate, Filtered Water, Citric Acid, Natural Flavors, Ascorbic Acid, and Sulfiting Agents (To Maintain Flavor and Freshness).

This is all the information on the can and does not give any other details other than the Nutritions Facts and they list no sulfites there.

I wish I could be more specific but this is all the label gives me.

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry hold off on the dumping..

rehydrate the yeast before pitching.. and add some of the must to the rehydrated yeast batch to see if it stalls the yeast at all.

Allie

ok..Jerry..

it's ok..

I just googled your concentrate and it is cited in dozens of home winemaking recipes on the web.

It will ferment fine.

Allie

Allie,

Thanks a million, I read the same thing but then saw that it contained sulfites and started second guessing what I've been reading.

I am going to rehydrate the yeast this morning and pitch it. I'll post back this evening to say it it took off or not.

Thanks for the help,
Jerry

I dont use any added sulfites when making wine from a concentrate or if I do I use much less.

Well I ended up doing a mix of 4oz of must 4oz of bottled water and microwaving it to 108*F and pitching the Lalvin 1118 and took off like a bandit. Let sit for 14-15 minutes and stirred well and added to the must. Now the must is fermenting very, very slowly. It has been sitting all day at 73*F and I had to fit a air lock to see if it was working.

Low and behold it is working, but very slowly. So with any luck I'll get a good batch.

Any ideas on how long till bottling on this recipe??

Thanks,
Jerry

Good to hear it's fermenting Jerry

quote.. 'Any ideas on how long till bottling on this recipe??'

( every batch of wine is different some finish and clear sooner than others do.. you may as well ask us.. "how long is a piece of string?".. winks)

Allie

Good to hear it's fermenting Jerry

quote.. 'Any ideas on how long till bottling on this recipe??'

( every batch of wine is different some finish and clear sooner than others do.. you may as well ask us.. "how long is a piece of string?".. winks)

Allie

Allie,

So how long is a piece of string? :D

Just kidding.... I didn't know if having the raspberries would make this a longer wine than a standard grape but I guess it was a loaded question to begin with.

At any rate I'll update this post for anyone interested and hopefully let everyone know the end product. Let me add so far it smells awesome for whatever that's worth!

Thanks,
Jerry

Raspberies dont make it a longer taking wine with the exception of all the seeds dropping out. It has such a strong flavor that it will usually hide many imperfections in a wine which actually can make it an earlier drinker some times.

Wade,

Thanks that answered one of my other questions... To seed or not to seed. I was not sure how the seeds would effect the taste of the finished product. It seems although as leaving the seeds intacked was the way to go. I am going to soak a automotive paint strainer in my sulfide solution to sterilize and strain my primary when racking into my secondary to do away with the seeds of the raspberries.

On another note the primary seemed to come to life at 76* tonight now I am getting the 'boil' that I am used to seeing. I am awaiting tomorrows SG reading!

Thanks,
Jerry

Another thing to note is that fruit wines are better fermented at cooler temps. It leaves more of the fruity esters in the wine although it will ferment slower. Relax and let time do its thing and let the seeds fall out naturally. A fast vigourous fermentation is not always a good thing!

Latest posts

Back