Quick Alcohol ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arlo

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Can wine change it's alcohol level i.e. SG was .995 went to bottle and it was up to 1.11 after sitting for almost two weeks?
Thanks

hmm.. seems a bit strange.. it went up in sweetness?

did you degas? have you backsweetened?

Allie

Yes I degassed and no I did not back sweeten I'm not complaining it taste great was just worried about fermenting again..

1.11 seems a bit impossible. Are you sure it wasn't 1.01? Even that would be surprising given that you measured 0.995 before and haven't added any sweetener. Going from 0.995 to 1.11 would require pounds of sugar or other sweetening agent added.

If it had started to turn to vinegar I think the SG would go back up, possibly to 1.01, but you said it tasted fine, so I doubt that is it.

I'd keep measuring and watch it for a few days.

hydrometer readings can be affected by temperature. I have no idea if they can change that much. What temps were the two readings taken at?

Yeah those hydrometers are rated acurate at a certain temp - and there are temp charts to adjust correctly - but unless you checked the SG at 100 degrees - those readings aren't aligning up.

.995 to 1.010 that might be possible if you measured .995 at a temp around 85 degrees or so - and didn't add to compensate for the temp difference - and then remeasured 1.010 at like 55 degrees.

My thoughts are..

There's an error in reading, keep it well under airlock, however beg, buy or borrow another hydrometer.

It needs double checking.

Massive swings in temp/reading don't usually occur if you read at the same time daily.. for instance 7am in the morning.. if you measured again at 5pm after a full days sun, obviously that would affect your reading.

and my personal opinion is that if you have a confirmed reading of .995..

it's finished.

Allie

cheers Mike :h it's good to have the job under control, so I can get in here to post again.

I'm here til wednesday, then I'm in singapore for 5 days,..have never been to singapore..

I love my job!

Allie

Latest posts

Back