Questions regarding sap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efBobby

Reaction score
can it be transferred from 1 vine to another or to a cutting?

May help with harder to root cv's.

Not sure if plants work like animals but if you transferred some sap from an old, tough vine to a new less hardy one would the antibodies be carried over and copied like a vaccine?

Lastly, since it is a mix of 3 primary nutrients; would the sap from a similar woody, perenial vine work as well?

I would think yes in the vine to cutting scenario granted there is a graft point the sap can transfer through. Not sure about the antibodies scenario considering the rigid cell structure.

I do have an update:

I didn't really observe any major changes when using it on hardwood cuttings; however observed a marked improvement in strike rate and time to strike with small, green cuttings.

I would like to try it with larger green cuttings but do not have any available! Argh!

Method used was simply a sap dip before planting.

Other than that now i need to mine some sap from a different species of woody vine to see if it still works. I'm thinking something super vigorous such as trumpet vine or Japanese honey suckle. I would consider porcelain berry but thank god none of it is around!

if you transferred some sap from an old, tough vine to a new less hardy one would the antibodies be carried over and copied like a vaccine?
The theory in plant pathology was that we risk transferring viruses when grafting
Plants aren’t supposed to have antibodies the way animals do
Plants have young juvenile cells in their buds and these cells are capable of regenerating completely new plants (tissue culture or cuttings). If the parenchyma cells die the plant will eventually die

Hey, thanks for the clarification! And drat! I was hoping that it may enable plants to become more resistant without grafting.

In regards to the other, good point I will stick to native species to mine. purple Passion flower comes to mind as a vigorous species in addition to trumpet vine.

Lastly one more avenue to explore is to see if dipping a cutting will have any effect on cuttings that are difficult to root.

Latest posts

Back