Questions re: making and providing wine for family wedding

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyntheef

grunt
Reaction score
My daughter is getting married in about a year and the idea of making 3 or 4 different types of wine for it came up.

So I got to wondering, are there any (LEGAL TYPE) limits or guidelines for providing wine for the guests at a wedding? I thought maybe there might be some requirements for quality control or labeling. (Meaning, are there any laws in place that need to be adhered to.)

Also, I would be traveling across a few state lines to get there. Any legal restrictions for transporting wine?

I just thought there might be some federal or state guidelines. Seems a little sloppy for a gov't. that has it's fingers in just about everything not to have something to say about alcohol being passed about.

Last edited:
Standard wedding etiquette is 2 glasses per guest... That being said, I guess it all depends on what you're serving for dinner, how long the wedding reception is, amount of toasts, etc.

Most weddings i've been to have a white and a red on each table that guests can kind of help themselves to... Some people don't like wine and will pass on it, others will chug this $#!t down like they're a fish in need of water...

As far as getting the labels and bottles the same, just try to go to a winery or some place that you can get a bunch of the same bottles so they match. If you don't want to do fancy labels you could try a hanging tag from the neck of the bottle and color code shrink caps on top.

Can't help you on the transportation... I guess my best advice for you would be "don't get pulled over" hehe...

Some people don't like wine and will pass on it, others will chug this $#!t down like they're a fish in need of water...

Haha. Made me laugh out loud... I mean I actually chuckled. Some people say lol but they don't really mean it. :)

Standard wedding etiquette is 2 glasses per guest...

Sorry, my meaning wasn't clear before I edited the post.
What I meant was...are there any laws that I might be breaking if I put wine behind the bar to be poured for wedding guests at an open bar type thing without having a license?

In other words... if someone ambles up to the bar and says "can I get a glass of Merlot?", the bartender would serve what I have provided.

I wouldn't even begin to know who to talk to about this, so I thought the forum would be a good place to pick some brains.

thanks,
Steve

Sorry, my meaning wasn't clear before I edited the post.
What I meant was...are there any laws that I might be breaking if I put wine behind the bar to be poured for wedding guests at an open bar type thing without having a license?

In other words... if someone ambles up to the bar and says "can I get a glass of Merlot?", the bartender would serve what I have provided.

I wouldn't even begin to know who to talk to about this, so I thought the forum would be a good place to pick some brains.

thanks,
Steve

No idea. Would vary by state for sure. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it... Cops rarely bust weddings... It's not like you're serving coke on a reflecting mirror around the centerpieces...

As long as the venue has no problem with bringing in outside alcohol I don't see a problem... but I have been wrong before...

Actually many states regulate this. The biggest issue would be if the place you are serving currenlty has a liquor license. If they do, then they'd probably be in violation of their license to allow this to be served.

If they don't have a license, or if it's being held at a private residense then you're probably much safer.

Check with the venue operators. Me and Kat can't serve our own wine at our wedding due to the companies liquor liscence and company policies. But we can hand unopened bottles in gift bags out.

There are also some states that do not allow the importation of alcohol or the crossing of state lines without registration or fees.

There would be NO problems if the place you are at does NOT have a liquor license. Places with a liquor license must buy everything through a liquor distributor.
Best to check with from where you are having the reception.

ok, thanks for the help everyone. I will check with the venue, but I'm pretty sure the wedding couple is bringing the alcohol in this case, so it sounds like it may just work out. I just wasn't sure if the alcohol that they bring needs to be regulated.

ok, thanks for the help everyone. I will check with the venue, but I'm pretty sure the wedding couple is bringing the alcohol in this case, so it sounds like it may just work out. I just wasn't sure if the alcohol that they bring needs to be regulated.

Just to be on the safe side maybe you should invite Daisy317. If anybody gets outta hand she could "stuff'em and cuff'em!"

Latest posts

Back