Questions on post fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill W

Junior
Reaction score
Ok, I'm doing a strawberry wine. I made sure it was done fermenting for 3days, just sulfited and sorbated it. Its still a little cloudy and still has some yeasty smell to it. Do I keep it under water lock even though it doesn't seem to be off gassing anymore (is it still safe that way and for how long) ? Is it ok to keep it at room temperature (~74 degrees) while I'm waiting on it to clear?

Yes keep it under airlock. One reason is temp. As the temp changes so does the volume hense the volume expands. If you had a solid bung it would blow off.
You will still have the yeasty smell for a while. Did you add clearing agents yet?

Re: Post fermentation

Nope, haven't added any clearing agents. I have bentonite, but wasn't sure if I should be using that yet.

Post your recipe
I make strawberry all the time it will take some time to clear before bottling. Will you be doing a f-pac and backsweetening?

Yes, I am planning on doing the f-pac and backsweetening ever so slightly. This is supposed to end up a light strawberry table wine.

My recipe (from my notes)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For my First batch (looking for approx 2-3 gallons) I used (July 15, 2009):
6 quarts water (1.5 gal)
5 lbs sugar + 2 cups (to get 1.085 SG)
10 lbs frozen strawberries
2 tsp acid blend
5/8 tsp tannin
1 ¼ tsp pectic enzyme
2 ½ tsp yeast energizer
¼ tsp of potassium metasulfite
1 packet of Lalvin 71B-1122 (rehydrated in warm water then added)

Did you degas before adding sulfite and sorbate?
Looks good so far. Is your gravity .990?
If so now is the time to make a f-pac. Once added is when you can add clearing agents and backsweeten.
You will need to rack 2+ more times before bottling.
Keep us posted.

I just did a splashy racking into my bucket before adding sulfite and sorbate. Yes, the SG is .990. How do I tell when to do the additional racking before bottling? (Appreciate your help on this Tom)

Splashy dont do it all. You should get a gegasser the attaches to a drill. This will improve your wine. After adding the f-pac and clearing agents it takes maybe 2 weeks for you wine to clear. Rack then. wait another 3-4 weeks and see how much more has dropped. RACK. Make sure when you rack you have as little head space as possible. Rack into 2 carboys if needed. (ie 1 gal and 1.5 ltr if you have 1 1/2 gal)
Continue till super clear. Just before bottling you can add simple syrup to your taste.
Remember Fruit wines take longer that kits. Because of that you need to make as much as you can handle. (no 1 gal batches its not worth the wait)

Latest posts

Back