Questions on my first port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine any yeast being able to restart a fermentation above 18%, unless it is specifically designed to do so (I know there are super yeasts that can go to 22-25%). Even EC1188 and K1V1116 can be tough to get up to 18%. This is certainly based on my own personal comfort level, but if I get the alcohol up to 18% and the fermentation stops, and I still have residual sugar, I have complete confidence the colony has died. After racking and bulk aging for a few months there's no worry about refermentation (for me).

What you are saying makes sense and I agree that sorbate is probably not necessary. Reading over Jack Keller's recipe again, he does not mention stabilizing the wine at all. Like I said, this is my first port so this is all new to me. Would standard sulfite practices apply to my port? Dose after ferment is done, along with fortification and every 3 months while bulk ageing?

I'm getting close to that stage as the must is at 17% ABV right now and still chugging along, at a much slower pace however. When the gravity stops dropping, I should rack, fortify and sulfite, correct?

Also, I'm bulk aging for 6 months and then bottling around Thanksgiving. Should this be enough time to de-gas and clear? He didn't mention clearing agents either. Thanks again for all your help guys.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back