Mosti Mondiale Questions making La Bodega port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am brand new to this forum and pretty new to the craft. But as I learn I would love to be able to give as well.
I made a blackberry port this summer from a highly rated recipe. After alcohol fortification the recipe stated that the high alcohol content made further SO2 unnecessary. I assume that Kmeta and SO2 perform the same function, tell me if my understanding is incorrect.
Impatience motivated me to put a gallon in bottles way before their time so I could know if I was on the right track. My wife (who picked the blackberries) approves.
In conclusion, I don't think you need any bacteria killers. Alcohol is the solution.
Hey, welcome to WMT! Someone else, Dr. @sour_grapes for instance, can provide a more scientific answer but kmeta and SO2 do perform the same function.

John, much appreciated as I don’t have FermCalc - yet... The finished ABV of the La Bodega kit was 13.4 prior to adding brandy. The kit does not call for fortification, as you know. I’ll be moving to smaller vessels this weekend and can use KMeta if necessary but it’s not desired...

How much is that kit going in your neck of the woods?

Geek - I got the kit in Canada - $80 US and another $80 to ship it to me. I’m only a few hours from the Canadian border and Bosa Grapes and the gal told me the shipping cost was high because of customs. I was easily able to justify the cost if this port is as good as I’m reading.

I’m able to get the kit locally but I missed the order deadline.

John, much appreciated as I don’t have FermCalc - yet... The finished ABV of the La Bodega kit was 13.4 prior to adding brandy. The kit does not call for fortification, as you know. I’ll be moving to smaller vessels this weekend and can use KMeta if necessary but it’s not desired...

Not sure what you mean you don't have FermCalc, yet. There is a web version of it available to all - FermCalc Winemaking Calculator

Hey, welcome to WMT! Someone else, Dr. @sour_grapes for instance, can provide a more scientific answer but kmeta and SO2 do perform the same function.

Some thoughts on the k-meta. You and @SLM are correct: If you have enough alcohol, you will not get microbial spoilage, even without sulfites. However, sulfites play another role, viz., scavenging oxygen so as to inhibit oxidation of the wine. However however :) , those oxidated notes are normal or expected for ports and sherries. So it becomes a matter of preference.

And I agree with @geek and @ibglowin from earlier, I would want to get the ABV into a more, uhhhh, "protective" range, like 19-20%.

The result is 6.471 gallons of port wine with an ABV of 15.031%. This isn't a stable situation in terms of refermentation (skipping sorbate) or microbial activity / oxidation (skipping sulfites). It'll take a lot more brandy to get the ABV up above 20%, which I recall to be where the stability is satisfactory. I'm not sure I'd ever skip the sulfite, I think that even fortified wine can oxidize.

EDIT: Didn't see all of the other posts on the next page prior to mine, sorry if it's redundant. Also see that Paul ran the ABV for you using 12 liters, which is probably what the port kit produces, as opposed to the Fermcalc analysis that I ran using 23 liters. Paul's numbers are correct if the kit was 3 gallons.........................

The result is 6.471 gallons of port wine with an ABV of 15.031%. This isn't a stable situation in terms of refermentation (skipping sorbate) or microbial activity / oxidation (skipping sulfites). It'll take a lot more brandy to get the ABV up above 20%, which I recall to be where the stability is satisfactory. I'm not sure I'd ever skip the sulfite, I think that even fortified wine can oxidize.

EDIT: Didn't see all of the other posts on the next page prior to mine, sorry if it's redundant. Also see that Paul ran the ABV for you using 12 liters, which is probably what the port kit produces, as opposed to the Fermcalc analysis that I ran using 23 liters. Paul's numbers are correct if the kit was 3 gallons.........................

Yeah, I spent some time convincing myself that the finished volume of the kit was 12L (except for any lees losses, of course). I even went so far as to google-track-down the instruction sheet, and it did not indicate adding water. But, perhaps George can confirm?

Yeah, I spent some time convincing myself that the finished volume of the kit was 12L (except for any lees losses, of course). I even went so far as to google-track-down the instruction sheet, and it did not indicate adding water. But, perhaps George can confirm?
When I saw your post (after making mine) I remembered that every Port-style wine kit that I've done has only been 3 gallons, not 6, so I suspect that you are correct with the 12 liter calculations. Found this little blurb in the instructions, see the text highlighted in red:
supplies needed
• Potassium Metabisulphite 200g/7.05 oz – for the sterilization of your tools and equipment before each step
• Primary Fermenter 30L/8 US Gallon
• Hydrometer and Test Tube
• Wine Thief – used to collect samples
• Long Mixing Spoon – food grade quality
Carboy 23L/6 US Gallon [11.3L/ 3 US Gallon for La Bodega] – glass recommended or plastic
• Siphon Tube
• Airlock and Bung – allows CO� to escape and prevents external contamination
• 30x 750mL [375mL for La Bodega] Wine Bottles
• 30x Wine Corks
• Corker

I haven't made the La Bodega, but have made the RJS Coffee port and that's the wine that my family always asks for. I made it with espresso powder, heavy toast oak, topped up with port, and fortified with brandy.

The kit was a 12L kit and the finished product before adding the brandy was 3.20 gallons. Sounds like @sour_grapes’ analysis puts my port at approximately 16.3% - consensus says should more like 20%? It will be stable then?

Last edited:
The kit was a 12L kit and the finished product before adding the brandy was 3.20 gallons. Sounds like Paul's analysis puts my port at approximately 16.3% - consensus says should more like 20%? It will be stable then?

I vote for 20% to balance for the residual sugar. How does it taste to you now (I know it is too young).

Latest posts

Back