Questions about "young wine"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisella

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my Merlo is getting to the point of clearing (almost there) and is gas free finally. My questions are, would a wine taste almost fruity maybe and a little harsh? I'm hoping that this is just too soon to get a real feel for wat it may be like after it ages. Also, like I said it is clearing and there is no "visible" sediment in the wine however it is just a wee bit cloudy. Will this go away in bulk aging or should I consider filtering? By the way, I don't think i tastes bad at all in fact, i have tasted worse bottled wine, my wife said it fruity more like juice than wine but I'm hoping it's just "young". Do you guy's think I am on the right track but just a little anxious at this point? Thank, Jimmy :?

It would help to know how old this wine is but Im guess if its just clearing then its very young and this wine can not really be judged as of right now. You will have to be more specific as to if this is a kit and which exact one it is so that someone who has made this can chime in and tell you what to expect.

It would help to know how old this wine is but Im guess if its just clearing then its very young and this wine can not really be judged as of right now. You will have to be more specific as to if this is a kit and which exact one it is so that someone who has made this can chime in and tell you what to expect.

Sorry, I should have said it was a merlo concentrate juice kit from Corrado's and is just 1 month old today. I think it may need more time

Yes, lots more time (usually at least 6 mo for reds depending on the kit), but also I think the good kit wines do have more fruit character than cheap commercial wines. The ABV is probably more in the 11.5 to 12.5 range, rather than 13%+ you find in most store-bought today, so you can actually taste the wine. That's a good thing in my book.

Some cheap store-boughts also seem to try and cover up a bad wine with really have oak (think Leaping Horse Merlot), so again you don't taste the wine you taste wood. Just IMO.

That sounds right. I am just impatient! lol! Once I get my first batch aged, I'll be alright. Just a little impatient. I piched the yeast last sat on my 2nd kit as well. Rj grand cru pino gris. Can't wait, I'm addicted already! :h

Glad to see you happy, impatient, addicted, etc, Just relax and enjoy your work
welcome to the forum
Papa B

Don't ever think that you'll get over the impatient part. But if you get enough wines going at once, at least you'll be too busy to notice. :sm

Don't ever think that you'll get over the impatient part. But if you get enough wines going at once, at least you'll be too busy to notice. :sm

Ha! That's true, which is why I started a Grand Cru Pino gris the passed weekend! I figured, I'll make enough to keep me busy! :d

Crisella, I'm only on my second batch of wine as well, so I'm no expert. But my wife said almost the exact thing your wife said when we sampled our first batch (Valpolicella) prior to bottling. She said it tasted like Welch's grape juice. I liked the fruitiness, but also wanted a little more oak flavor. So I added some oak cubes for another week or so in the carboy. When we sampled it again, it seemed the oak had taken the edge of the fruitiness. It was still there, but not as intense as before. I'm thinking it will turn out well in a few months.

One great thing about this hobby, is how well it educates your ability to taste wine.

time in a tank...or time in a bottle can never EVER me overstated in terms of its value....

Back