questions about some wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trooper

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, just joined wine making talk.
I have been making wine from wine kits, with no problem so far. About three months ago I purchased a five gallon bucket of pion noir juice, from a local vine store that gets it from California every fall. Starting gravity was 1080. I put it in my fermenter and just followed directions form a wine expert kit . In about 7 days the gravity was .998 so I racked it into a carboy. Two weeks later the gravity didn't change so I killed the yeast and degassed it. As of today it still has not cleared and it does not taste good any suggestions. Thanks mark

There was a good chance that not enough must was racked to finish ferment. So now what??? When young, wines made from Pinot noir tend to have red fruit aromas of cherries, raspberries and strawberries. As the wines age, Pinots have the potential to develop vegetal and "barnyard" aromas that can contribute to the complexity of the wine. (Wikipedia) How's about some oak and some form of cherry, (dried cherries or cherry flavor syrup) to help the taste. Unless you wish to use some mechanical or packaged means of fining, Time (12 months) will help with maturing AND clearing. Rack-over @every 3 months. Another option might be to make another batch to your liking and blend the two. Experiment with small quantities and keep good record:r BTW, I do a lot of buckets and have never had a problem allowing total ferment to .990-.992 before rack-over to carboy...

Last edited:
I'm assuming it is now in a filled to the top 5 gallon carboy, with bung and the proper amount of SO2? Pino is a more delicate wine and caution should be used exposing it to oxygen. Let it degas on its own, time is your friend. Add 50ppm every 3 months, and you will be rewarded 12 months from now when it's bottled.

Can you describe what the wine smells/tastes like? is there a fault in the wine or is Pinot simply not to your liking?

Can you supply more details. What yeast did you use (for example)?

We can better advise you once we know more.

If it is cold it will not degas. It surely will taste better after it clears. You should have it in the mid seventies and it should start dropping clear on its own. After it is degassed and clear you can let it cool off again. It will probably still drop some sediment even when you think it is clear. As it ages the flavor should get much better. Arne.

Back