RJ Spagnols questions about bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StBlGT

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to the forum and winemaking. I am starting my first two kits within a week or so (RJS International Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon). I am planning on letting them "bulk age"....i say it that way because i just want it to sit an extra month or two in the carboy in case any additional sediment falls (not so much for aging). My questions are...

1. I read about adding 1/4 tsp of kmeta if bulk aging for 3 months. Will i need to do this for 1 or 2 months? Also, if so, for both red and white?

2. If i need to add kmeta, do you mix the 1/4 tsp in warm water and then pour it in the carboy? Also, do you just pour it in or do i have to stir it in?

3. When putting on the airlock, what should i fill it with? Water? Water/kmeta? Vodka? Full or half full?

4. When topping off, should i use water or a similar wine? Should i just pour it in or stir it in?

I will be "bulk aging" it in my basement and around 55-57 degrees, steady temp.

Sorry for all the questions, but i want to make sure i am doing this step correctly. I think I should be okay with the rest of the kit. Thanks!

Going by the numbers:

1. Your kit will have you add KMS after fermentation, which will hold you fine for a couple of months past the 30 days typically recommended til bottling. I'd add another 1/4 tsp at bottling.

2. Once the kit provided KMS is used as directed, in subsequent rackings, I typically thief some wine and put it into a sanitized cup, mix the KMS in and add it in the new carboy and rack into it. If bulk aging and I have no sediment and don't need to rack, but it's time for more KMS (every 3 months), I'll put the theifed wine / KMS into the carboy and stir it in.

3. Half full, most have lines. Folks use all of the liquids you mentioned. I use water.

4. Folks do both, I don't like to dilute and therefore pour in similar wine.

Thanks, Johnd! Some great info. If i add the kmeta...say a few days before bottling and stir it in, would that disturb any sediment? Or will giving it those few days before bottling allow it to sink back to the bottom?

Thanks, Johnd! Some great info. If i add the kmeta...say a few days before bottling and stir it in, would that disturb any sediment? Or will giving it those few days before bottling allow it to sink back to the bottom?

Once you have waited for the sediment to drop out, don't stir it up, just rack off of it to a different vessel, make your KMS addition and bottle from there. I never bottle out of a vessel with sediment in it. If you disturb it by mistake, you've spent months clearing it and end up bottling the sediment. Make the extra rack, it only takes a few extra minutes.

Ah, yes....makes sense. Thanks again. I think i will go this route.

Ah, yes....makes sense. Thanks again. I think i will go this route.

StBlGT:

I know it's hard, but when the instructions say that it's time to bottle, muster up all of your self control, rack your wine to a new carboy, add KMS, and wait another three months, six if you can.

I've been recently drinking some wines that I did in my early days, which looked brilliantly clear after following the clearing/settling instructions and time frames, and have sediment in the bottles. I know, it doesn't hurt the wine and you can decant it through a fine screen etc., but if I could do it over, I'd have waited the extra racking or two. Last night, I racked a wine from a carboy into a barrel, it had been bulk aging for nearly six months. I was pleased to get to the bottom of the carboy and see absolutely no sediment, and poured the last bit of wine from the carboy into the barrel. Only time does that.

Not to mention the fact that your wine will be halfway to a year old before you can start sneaking bottles here and there. Most feel that whites should age at least a year, and fuller bodied reds closer to two.

So all of the above posts point to giving your wine time to drop sediment. You will be surprised just how much there can be and how long it will continue to drop! A rackover every 3 months or so will help eliminate sediment AS WELL AS promote degassing naturally. And as has been mentioned, you may not even realize the passage of time and will accrue a benefit of some aging. Good luck and keep reading

Thanks so much everyone! That is what i an trying to avoid......sediment in my bottles. It is like a worst nightmare kind of thing. I am going to try to bulk age and see how it goes. Not sure if this is a good thing for a first-time maker, but i feel it is the right way.

Back