question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirs

just an oldman
Reaction score
I'm not new to making wine just new to going all out bottling and such. The ones I've made before stayed in glass jugs or big masons all in fridge once done. I'm actually going to try bottling them this year and my question is when corking the bottles do you have to use the regular corks or can you use the corks with the plastic tops I think they're called reusable corks? I know it's my choice but as far as being best for wine is what I'm asking I guess

thanks for asking this question...i too have wondered...
my first kit came with "mushroom" corks...i think those may be the same as u mentioned with the plastic top part. i too wondered if they were reusable. i am definitely looking at getting a floor corker at some point in time...
this issue makes bulk aging look good, lol

I'm not new to making wine just new to going all out bottling and such. The ones I've made before stayed in glass jugs or big masons all in fridge once done. I'm actually going to try bottling them this year and my question is when corking the bottles do you have to use the regular corks or can you use the corks with the plastic tops I think they're called reusable corks? I know it's my choice but as far as being best for wine is what I'm asking I guess
How long do you expect to keep the wine before drinking it? The tasting corks (at least that's what I call them) are not for long term storage.

Steve

The tasting corks with the plactic tops are not sufficient for long term storage. If you are going to store your wine for any length of time I would consider using regular corks and invest in a corker. Many here will recommend the floor corkers, I still have the double lever corker that came with my kit. Will evenually invest in a floor corker but not right now.

AS above tasting corks not for long term I use them once a bottle is open IF I don't finish it .. NAH!! not here.. LOL

I was kinda wondering that thanks for the information, and it seems this year they may not last long. I've always used pint or hafpint whiskey bottles up till last year then I got some wine bottles but had trouble getting corks I've found a few places since. Guess I'll go with the regular corks and grab a few of the tasters ones ofr when they're opened. This is getting to be more and more fun as it's going.
oh Green Mountains don't feel like your the only one but my pleasure is clear whiskey or really stout wine.

Latest posts

Back