Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AoifeLuC

Reaction score
I started my Coconut Yuzu Sept. 11th adding additional sugar which the S G. Read 1.115
Its now on the second rack and it's taken awhile to "calm" down on the activity. Been taking readings after the 10 day stay in second rack every two days to check S G.
The reading at this point on the S.G. is 1.000
and it's been at that reading for several days. There still is a bit of activity but way down with a few bubbles around the top of level of the wine. Tasted the wine after the readings and there seems to be a little but faint effervescent tingle on tongue. Tastes very nice and strong
The question is Should I wait a few more days until the reading reaches 0.996 or less? What if it continues to hang at the 1.000 SG reading....should I begin the process to stabilising and clearing?
Thanks

if no sediment in your carboy wait a few days. your taste buds are experiencing the CO2 that is in the wine. let it sit for at least three weeks before doing any additives for clearing. then degass before doing anything else.

Didn't see where you indicated what yeast you used, but starting at 1.115 down to 1.000, gives you an ABV in the 15.5 % - 16 % range. Is that at or above the upper limit of your yeast?

Whether it is or not, giving it a few more days is what you should consider anyway, but it may explain why it seems to have stopped at 1.000.

If you're using a high alcohol tolerance yeast like EC-1118, definitely give it some time to finish it's work.

Yes I used EC 1118 yeast. This was my "experiment" to bump up the alcohol with added concentrate wine juice. I first went by chart of Jack Keller...but ended up being a little chicken so I put 9 pounds of sugar instead of the recommended 12. Turns out even being "Chicken" I over shot the 12 per cent alcohol (it's been so long ago I think that was what I was aiming for at the final stage). Live and learn. Have discovered it's taken longer in each stage. Should have taken readings after each cup of simple syrup I added...those famous words "To late" applies to me.

This is an aside... Did you add some juice to balance the initial SG tweak? [I'll add two cans of frozen white grape juice concentrate to my "Mist" kits when bumping SG.] I've seen the addition of juice, when bumping up SG, recommended here and also, I believe, somewhere on Label Peelers' site.

Latest posts

Back