question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

dg1653

Junior
Reaction score
My muscadine wine started at 1.10 sg and is now down to 1.0 sg. I am getting very little action in the airlock but i am still getting some. Should i go ahead and add the sorbate and sulfite and end the fermentation or just keep waiting it out. Also when i rack the wine i will lose some of wine, should i add water to replace the wine are just not worry about not having exactly six gallons. thanks

smurfe

Reaction score
I would wait till fermentation is complete. If you are a new winemaker you will probably loose some while racking. You can either top off a bit with water or use something to fill the space like sanitized marbles. You could also rack to other size carboys if available. I routinely rack from 6 to 5 gallon carboys and then put the remaining in wine bottles with air locks and use that to top off with

Leanne

Fiesty Winer
Reaction score
Wait. Have patience and let it all do it's work.

dg1653

Junior
Reaction score
Thanks yall, i will just try and be patient. I am so ready to start drinking this wine. Also smurfe, are sanitized marbles just regular marbles that have been sanitized, or is there actually sanitized marbles that i can buy.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
sanitised marbles are just clean marbles.. give them a good wash in soapy water.. rinse and then immerse in meta sanitiser .. drop them one at a time into your carboy til desired volume displacement achieved.

Allie

Latest posts