Question regarding using flowers?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty520

Reaction score
I am interested in experimenting with flowers like violet and lilac.

Unfortunately, culinary flowers don't grow well here...or at all; I would be forced to acquire dried flowers. I have also seen that it is important to only use the petals - especially with violets - and to make sure there are no sepals, stamens etc in the batch.

Also, Unfortunately, I had a bad experience with using dried elderflowers in the past - it imparted an unpleasant vegetal taste. I attribute this to the fact that they were dry and not fresh.

From what i can find, people who sell dried violets, lilacs etc don't' seem to take time to separate them.

Anyone else have experience with them?

Any have any advice or tips?

I've never done violets or lilacs - they both seem a bit to labor intensive! I've done a lot of wild rose petal and hibiscus and some Heather & Hibiscus, and Day lilies (only once). I've also done Elderflower, that i thought was pretty good. Get some dried Hibiscus flowers from your local health food store or Amazon, for your first try.

vegetal, that was my impression with clover flowers, have some black locust flowers in process and my impression after heat treating was vegetal too, ,,, I tossed the clover.
I am interested in experimenting with flowers like . . . I had a bad experience with using dried elderflowers in the past - it imparted an unpleasant vegetal taste. I attribute this to the fact that they were dry and not fresh. . . . any advice or tips?

Latest posts

Back