Question regarding sulphites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertChartier

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am still pretty new to Winemaking, and have a question on sulfites.

I have a friend that would love to drink wine, if only she didn't have that pesky sulfite allergy.

Is there an alternative to using sodium or potassium metabisulfate?

Last edited:
Robert, you will get a number of responses to this question ranging from "you don't need sulfites at all" to "sulfites are sine qua non" for good wine. They are, of course, a protector from oxidation so the question is, what other ways can wine be protected from oxidation? If you are careful and minimize exposure to air when bottling, used good corking procedures, store the wine in close to ideal conditions (55 degrees, 75% RH, no exposure to UV light or vibration) you will probably be safe in not using sulfites. I would suggest another tact. When you make a batch, take out a gallon or so and bottle it without sulfites (noting the caveats above) for your friend and then sulfite the remainder for general use.

Good luck.

I have yet another tack to suggest, but I am not sure it if is wise to try it!

How sure are you that she is allergic to sulfites? Many people report that they are, but it is actually pretty rare. (Of course, "rare" does not mean "non-existent.") Also, how serious is it?

My suggestion is to make a solution of water and k-meta that is the approximate strength of sulfited wine (50 ppm or so). With her consent, of course, have her try a few sips of this solution.

Back to the OP, yes there is an alternative.

1.) Be scrupulously and fastidiously clean and sanitary in all you do, to the extent of megalomania.

2.) Make wines of greater than 10% alcohol content.

3.) Be extremely cautious about oxygen contact with your wines.

4.) Reds are the better wines to make under these conditions. You can make whites, but they are more sensitive to oxidative changes.

Store most wines you make for 2 years or less. The only wines you store long-term will be those you have made that are very highly tannic in nature (i.e.: nearly or completely undrinkable at time of bottling).

That's it! My grandpa never used a speck of k meta for the 50+ years he made wine. I don't think he could have gotten ahold of any even if he knew about it. He died in 1969.

Last edited:
I don't use sulfites. I do what JS Wordy says. Clean as hell. use nothing but high quality corks. I age in corney kegs(Pop Kegs) and have no O2 exposer in them. The open space is filed with CO2. I use yeasts that are lower tolerance levels so that re fermentaions is not a worry. Max out your yeast and let the alcohol kill yeast. You can backsweeten without sorbate or K Meta. I will add I use K Meta to sanitize almost everything. I also run an Ozone Generator before anything is ever opened up(kegs, fermentors or carboys. I have spray bottles of 99% iso alcohol in house as well. I started when I discovered I dont like the taste of Sorbate and being OCD and taking everything to max I ended up making wine and Mead like this. BTW I still have not had a batch go bad

I think sour_grapes has a very good idea. When I first started making wine I had the same concern because my husband is allergic to sulfites. So we sanitize everything in iodophor and add sulfites to the wine. This keeps it to minimum and like Sour_grapess said, there is really just a small amount of people who are allergic.

Being allergic to sulfites seems to be the "in thing" now days. Seems lots of people assume they are allergic to sulfites when they have a slight reaction after drinking some wine. Many studies have been done on this and there are a number of theories as to what causes this, but it is rarely confirmed to be sulfites. There are a lot of people that will try a bit of your wine if you tell them you use very little sulfites in them. If you do that, be sure you don't overdo it with sulfites. Most people will report that they were able to drink your wine with no problems.

Ascorbic acid, vit C, is often used as an antioxident and preservative. I have used it a few times in my wines. I also use very little sulfites. Sometimes not at all. So far so good!
Grapes often get sprayed with loads of chemicals. I always wondered how concentrated those chemicals get in wine making. Maybe its the chemicals that bother and not the added sulfites? People are often unable to drink red wine, but can drink white. Chemicals get concentrated in the skins. White wine has very little skin fermentaion. Aparently white wines get higher doses of sulfa as well.
Try making a wine with organic fruit. See if that bothers.

Another idea is to have them it some dried fruit or raisins. These items are super loaded to the max with sulfites and see if they have a reaction. Try small samples at first of course.

Another idea is to have them it some dried fruit or raisins. These items are super loaded to the max with sulfites and see if they have a reaction. Try small samples at first of course.

This might be a good approach but I'd first check to see if the label indeed says sulfites. A lot of these dried fruit companies are getting away from using it. Then I'd offer the fruit with no comments about why, so the test would be fairly unbiased.

I sometimes wonder if the reaction isn't to sulfites but rather to the fruit used or some other aspect of the wine. Perhaps there is a trace chemical produced in the making (lots of them are), or some other cause. For example, whenever I drink alcohol in any form, I am congested the next day. It does vary in intensity depending on whether it is beer or wine or liquor, and what kind. But it happens. When I drink beer, I have joint aches the following day, as well. That's the gluten in the beer - which is why I left it for wine and winemaking in the first place.

The reason testing for sulfites is inconclusive is because the amounts in ppm are low once in the body and there are not accurate tests since it is not a life threatening problem nor is it a moneymaking proposition to have such a test developed. The common reaction to sulfites is discomfort.

But as I said, it's not hard to make wine without sulfites if you are mindful in your practices.

One could presume that reaction of some degree to sulfites is more common to humans than we might think simply by the fact that our ever-watchful FDA has required the alert "contains sulfites" on any marketable product that has it in our country. I've often wonder about the "other" things (can't even pronounce them) which are added!!!

I sometimes wonder if the reaction isn't to sulfites but rather to the fruit used or some other aspect of the wine.

Histamines are frequently cited to be a candidate for the "other thing." However, lots of people don't agree.

One could presume that reaction of some degree to sulfites is more common to humans than we might think simply by the fact that our ever-watchful FDA has required the alert "contains sulfites" on any marketable product that has it in our country. I've often wonder about the "other" things (can't even pronounce them) which are added!!!

Well, perhaps you shouldn't read too much into that labeling. I haven't read the source material, but it is widely reported that the sulfite warning label was meant to cut down on people's drinking, much the way that labeling on cigarettes aimed at reducing smoking. A quote from the site referenced above:

In A History of Wine In America, Volume 2, Thomas Pinney recaps some of the maneuvering from the 1980s that led to this warning. A group tried to have ingredients listed on wine labels as early as 1972. After over a decade of ping-ponging between agencies, proposals getting rebuffed from the industry, and ultimately a legal challenge that succeeded in striking it down, ingredient labeling was off the table.

But the forces of “neoprohibitionism” had started gathering steam and in Senator Strom Thurmond, they found their man. This time, Pinney writes, “their goal was not to inform but to frighten.” Initial efforts to get a government warning were stymied, but they scored a victory in getting “CONTAINS SULFITES” to appear on labels starting in 1987. The following year, the government warning language on labels also passed and went into effect. While a small portion of the population is allergic to sulfites, an allergist once told me that those who are allergic generally have preconditions, such as asthma. Further, the reactions are most often severe and may include anaphylaxis (note: they don’t cause headaches).

So if you’ve ever wondered why dried fruits that have higher levels of sulfur than wine contain no government warning, know you know why. First, they’re regulated by different agencies (TTB vs FDA). Second, there’s no anti-dried fruit lobby.

Continuing on a bit with this, I ran across a couple things that might help understand the difference between sulpha allergies from medicine and suspected sulfite allergies.
First sulfa: http://allergies.about.com/od/medicationallergies/a/sulfa.htm

And then sulfa versus sulfite allergies: http://allergies.about.com/b/2009/0...-sulfa-sulfite-sulfate-and-sulfur-allergy.htm

and more specifically sulfite allergies: http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/sulfites.htm

Yeah, two different things. I am allergic to sulfa drugs but not sulfites.

potassium pyrosulfite is sold in the seafood industry which is just another name for potassium metabisulfite, its use is as.
and i dont mean to be cute, but this is about how it is done.
take who knows how many pounds 1000 are 5000 lbs of shrimp and put in vat with water.
take what may be one cup are what ever the dock hands, are boat captains feel like and soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
no strict guide lines to follow....and there should be..I have been an advocate of stronger warning labels for 20 years...has done no good.
Every single shrimp that hits the shore from the ocean has it. Its used to give the shrimp extra days on the ice....without it, shrimp are fresh for 12 hours. with it there fresh for up to 7 days when kept at 34 degrees.
We tell all who purchase to rinse and rinse and rinse before use.
In 32 years , we have not had one person sick from being allergic to sulphides.Belive me...it would be law suite city..if they did.

Back