Question on the secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdammer

Reaction score
So I started making the RJS PC New Zealand Sauv Blanc on June 28th.

Racked it over to the secondary and let it sit. It's still sitting there. I haven't added any chemicals or racked it again. It should be fine right since there is a layer of CO2 on the top. The wine has already cleared out.

So I'm thinking I'll rack it this week and add the chemicals but skip the clearing agents.

Anyways, the question is. Is there anything wrong with letting it sit a month in the secondary with out adding the chemicals?

Thanks!

Did you sulfite the primary?

Mine is usually in the secondary about a month after primary - then i rack off the sediment. I won't add any more sulfite or sorbate until my next racking. which will be in about a month.

if you plan on backsweetening or adding an fpac - i would wait a few weeks after this before adding any clearing agents in.

So in short :h - if you have already added sulfite - then yes - if you haven't - i would add them in.

So I started making the RJS PC New Zealand Sauv Blanc on June 28th.

Anyways, the question is. Is there anything wrong with letting it sit a month in the secondary with out adding the chemicals?
PC? is this the Premier Cru line? If so, I think you're the first that I've seen making one of these.

Sit for a month before doing the additives? No problem, I do it all the time. Personally I wouldn't skip the clearing agents, but it's your choice.

Steve

PC? is this the Premier Cru line? If so, I think you're the first that I've seen making one of these.

Sit for a month before doing the additives? No problem, I do it all the time. Personally I wouldn't skip the clearing agents, but it's your choice.

Steve

Whoops. Sorry I meant I'm making the Cru Select. I didn't even know that was a line. Must be brand new. There is a New Zealand SB in there too. Thought that was the one I made.

Okay. Sounds good on the additives. Thanks.

I think I'm going to age this one in a five gallon carboy. I had to top up my Merlot with almost two full bottles of wine. I figure I'll rack off the sediment on this one. Bottle a couple of bottles and throw them in the fridge. Then I'll just top up the 5 gallon with the ones I bottled. Anyone else do this?

Latest posts

Back