Question on Sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cxwgfamily

Reaction score
A wine making colleague asked if he needed to add more Sorbate to his wine if he added it at the time of bottling, but decide after a year of aging and retasting, he wanted to add more sugar. I told him no because I did not think Sorbate was consumed in the rendering yeast unable to multiply or metabolizing sugar. Another wine making buddy said he should add more but less than the orginal dosage. He recommended half to a quarter dosage.
What is the recommendation from this group. Would also be helpful to know the mechanism of how Patassium Sorbate works.

Potassium Sorbate interferes with the ability of the yeast to bud, hence reproduce. No further potassium sorbate is required, assuming the proper dosage the first time. If it's also important to remember to add potassium sulfites at the same time as the sorbate.

Personally, I wouldn't add more sugar to each bottle, but just add some to the bottle when I opened one.

I agree with Craig & Mike.

If someone told me a wine needed more sweetening, I'd hand them the sugar bowl and a spoon.

Nope, I'm not being a jerk. Rebottling a wine is an effort, and I'm totally fine with someone having a different taste that mine, e.g., they want more sugar? I'm totally fine with that. If they are happy? Great!

Wine with Sorbate and no SO2 smells like Geranium leaves.

No this isn't true. Wine that has Sorbate added to an active Malolactic Fermentation can smell like Geraniumn leaves.

Wine with sorbate and no SO2 isn't necessarily protected from refermentation.

Back