Question on Petic Enzyme Use

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cxwgfamily

Reaction score
I recently started a batch of Strawberry Wine. The recipe I am following call for 10 Tsp of Petic Enzyme for a 5 gallon batch. Is this the right level? What are the consequences of over dosing the Petic Enzyme? Is thee a rule of thumb for Petic Enzyme use for Fruit wines or is the amount required Fruit depended.
Thanks in advance for you help.
Cxwgfamily

2 tsp per gallon seems high. normal instructions with pectic enzyme is 1/2 tsp er gallon. there are no hazards in overdosing. use is not fruit dependent. normal dosage as stated is 1/2 tsp per gallon

I recently started a batch of Strawberry Wine. The recipe I am following call for 10 Tsp of Petic Enzyme for a 5 gallon batch. Is this the right level? What are the consequences of over dosing the Petic Enzyme? Is thee a rule of thumb for Petic Enzyme use for Fruit wines or is the amount required Fruit depended.
Thanks in advance for you help.
Cxwgfamily
* there is no problem in dosing enzyme high. It is called a process aid, not really a part of the wine.
* we have two purposes, first is to improve the release of juice, second is to aid clarification.
* the level of pectin will vary with the fruit, on a stone fruit (peach, plum, apricot) we see pectin haze which can hang for a year. The standard is to dose high to aid clarification. Rhurbarb seems to be low so it extracts well and has no haze. A quick guess for us is to look at a jelly recipe, do you need suregel? how much? Strawberry falls in the middle there is some pectin but not a lot. (it doesn’t do jelly by itself)

Personally I would cut that dosage in half and that would still double the typical dosage. Strawberry batches I made were quick to clear with normal dosage of 1/2 tsp / gallon.

Thanks for tHe feedback. I went back to my notes and I must have record 1.0 as 10 at some point in the past. Thanks for helping me get this straightened out.

Latest posts

Back