Quantcast

Question on Petic Enzyme Use

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Cxwgfamily

Reaction score
I recently started a batch of Strawberry Wine. The recipe I am following call for 10 Tsp of Petic Enzyme for a 5 gallon batch. Is this the right level? What are the consequences of over dosing the Petic Enzyme? Is thee a rule of thumb for Petic Enzyme use for Fruit wines or is the amount required Fruit depended.
Thanks in advance for you help.
Cxwgfamily

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
2 tsp per gallon seems high. normal instructions with pectic enzyme is 1/2 tsp er gallon. there are no hazards in overdosing. use is not fruit dependent. normal dosage as stated is 1/2 tsp per gallon

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
I recently started a batch of Strawberry Wine. The recipe I am following call for 10 Tsp of Petic Enzyme for a 5 gallon batch. Is this the right level? What are the consequences of over dosing the Petic Enzyme? Is thee a rule of thumb for Petic Enzyme use for Fruit wines or is the amount required Fruit depended.
Thanks in advance for you help.
Cxwgfamily
* there is no problem in dosing enzyme high. It is called a process aid, not really a part of the wine.
* we have two purposes, first is to improve the release of juice, second is to aid clarification.
* the level of pectin will vary with the fruit, on a stone fruit (peach, plum, apricot) we see pectin haze which can hang for a year. The standard is to dose high to aid clarification. Rhurbarb seems to be low so it extracts well and has no haze. A quick guess for us is to look at a jelly recipe, do you need suregel? how much? Strawberry falls in the middle there is some pectin but not a lot. (it doesn’t do jelly by itself)

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Personally I would cut that dosage in half and that would still double the typical dosage. Strawberry batches I made were quick to clear with normal dosage of 1/2 tsp / gallon.

Cxwgfamily

Reaction score
Thanks for tHe feedback. I went back to my notes and I must have record 1.0 as 10 at some point in the past. Thanks for helping me get this straightened out.

Latest posts