Question on first batch

Discussion in 'Beginners Wine Making Forum' started by kenturner, Nov 13, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Nov 13, 2019 #1

kenturner

kenturner

kenturner

Junior

I am making my first batch of wine and I chose Apple that I made from juice. The recipe I used had me add the yeast and then lock it down with an air lock and let it sit. I have been this way since July 14th. I am making it to give out as Christmas presents. Now I am seeing more recipes that say I have to transfer it to another carboy every so often. Did I ruin my batch? I still have time to transfer it to another carboy and it can sit there for 30 days before I was planning to bottle. Should I do that? Do I need to add anything to it when I transfer it?

Thanks in advance,
    Ken Turner

2. Nov 13, 2019 #2

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

Junior Member WMT Supporter

That's a long time if you did nothing since adding the yeast. What kind of fermenter did you use and how much head space do you have? How does it smell?

3. Nov 13, 2019 #3

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

Yikes!! Fred's right, you need to check that stuff out pronto. Back in the old days, they'd put the must in underground containers to ferment and leave it for long periods of time, so your stuff could be just fine, could even be awesome, just need to check it out to see.

mainshipfred likes this.
  4. Nov 13, 2019 #4

kenturner

kenturner

kenturner

Junior

It's in the house in the dining room, its a plastic bucket with a lid and an bubble airlock on it. It hasnt made a noticeable smell, but I will check tonight when I get home. Once I open it, if no smell, should I add anything to it when I transfer it to a carboy, or should I just bottle it?

Thanks for the replies

5. Nov 13, 2019 #5

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

Junior Member WMT Supporter

Definitely put it in a carboy filled to the neck and add K-meta. The rule of thumb is 1/4 teaspoon per 5-6 gallons but I might add a little more. I would recommend leaving it in the carboy to make sure the sediment drops out after the racking. You still have time before Christmas to bottle. I might also recommend bottling a couple weeks prior to giving it away.

6. Nov 25, 2019 #6

kenturner

kenturner

kenturner

Junior

Didn't smell bad, tasted very dry. I put in the carboy and added the k-meta as you suggested, seems ok. I will need to sweeten it before I bottle. I have some time to remove the labels from the bottles I got from a restaurant. I'm trying the baking soda and water method first. I also have some goo-gone for the stubborn ones.

Thanks for the replies.

mainshipfred likes this.