Question on first batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenturner

Junior
Reaction score
I am making my first batch of wine and I chose Apple that I made from juice. The recipe I used had me add the yeast and then lock it down with an air lock and let it sit. I have been this way since July 14th. I am making it to give out as Christmas presents. Now I am seeing more recipes that say I have to transfer it to another carboy every so often. Did I ruin my batch? I still have time to transfer it to another carboy and it can sit there for 30 days before I was planning to bottle. Should I do that? Do I need to add anything to it when I transfer it?

Thanks in advance,
Ken Turner

Yikes!! Fred's right, you need to check that stuff out pronto. Back in the old days, they'd put the must in underground containers to ferment and leave it for long periods of time, so your stuff could be just fine, could even be awesome, just need to check it out to see.

It's in the house in the dining room, its a plastic bucket with a lid and an bubble airlock on it. It hasnt made a noticeable smell, but I will check tonight when I get home. Once I open it, if no smell, should I add anything to it when I transfer it to a carboy, or should I just bottle it?

Thanks for the replies

Definitely put it in a carboy filled to the neck and add K-meta. The rule of thumb is 1/4 teaspoon per 5-6 gallons but I might add a little more. I would recommend leaving it in the carboy to make sure the sediment drops out after the racking. You still have time before Christmas to bottle. I might also recommend bottling a couple weeks prior to giving it away.

Didn't smell bad, tasted very dry. I put in the carboy and added the k-meta as you suggested, seems ok. I will need to sweeten it before I bottle. I have some time to remove the labels from the bottles I got from a restaurant. I'm trying the baking soda and water method first. I also have some goo-gone for the stubborn ones.

Thanks for the replies.

Ok, its been in the carboy 2 weeks. I added a gallon of apple juice to the neck to eliminate head space in the carboy. I am going to add the Super Kleer tonight. When do I back sweeten if needed? I have the wine conditioner ready. I was thinking that Thursday I might bottle, so it can sit in the bottle about 5 days before I give it for Christmas gift. I can always give away with the condition they let it age another week or two. Any other suggestions?

Ok, its been in the carboy 2 weeks. I added a gallon of apple juice to the neck to eliminate head space in the carboy. I am going to add the Super Kleer tonight. When do I back sweeten if needed? I have the wine conditioner ready. I was thinking that Thursday I might bottle, so it can sit in the bottle about 5 days before I give it for Christmas gift. I can always give away with the condition they let it age another week or two. Any other suggestions?

If you added a gallon of apple juice, you fermentation is going to start up again. Basically, you'll now need to wait for the fermentation to stop again.. Sure there's a few ways to get it to stop fermentation now, but I wouldn't suggest doing it as a beginner.

So here's what you're going to do now.. wait for fermentation to stop... once it's stopped, then clear the wine. Once it's clear and ready to bottle, add the P-Meta and P sorbate to make sure it won't ferment when you back sweeten. Then back sweeten to bottle.

BTW, after I back sweeten, I like to wait a few days to make sure fermentation doesn't start up again.. I don't want to make bottle bombs.

You've already 'backsweetened it with that apple juice. First thing you need to do is add some potassium sorbate to help prevent fermentation from firing up again.

Do that pronto or you will be back to square one with waiting time.

You can add more sugar if you want it sweeter but first get that sorbate added.

Latest posts

Back