Quantcast

question on fining

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Tony Equale

Junior
Reaction score
I have a Cayuga from this vintage that remains hazy after one fining with Bentonite at 1.5 g/gal. It will be two weeks tomorrow and it shows no sign of clarifying. Would you do a second fining or just wait … and would you use powdered milk or gelatin … or something else? Tony

Julie

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Tony, when did you start this? Is it done fermenting? You may just need to give it some time.

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Cayuga from this vintage that remains hazy after one fining with Bentonite at 1.5 g/gal. It will be two weeks tomorrow and it shows no sign of clarifying. Would you do a second fining or just wait … and would you use powdered milk or gelatin … or something else? Tony
Julie is correct, it could just need some more time, especially if there is still CO2 gas in the wine, it is a deterrent to clearing as it helps keep those little particles from settling down to the bottom. You should first work to rid the wine of CO2, there are many threads here about degassing, you can decide what method you'd like to employ if time is not your choice.

The other option, if you are endeavoring to accomplish clearing very quickly, and degassing doesn't work or isn't needed, consider your bentonite effort. If applied in appropriate dosage, served to rid your wine of negatively charged particles, as it's positive charge attracts them. Most fining regimens include two agents, one for negative particles, the other for positive particles, you've not applied the latter. My personal preference fo remove the positively charged particles is chitosan, but there are many others out there that will accomplish that part of the fining effort. Good luck!!

Tony Equale

Junior
Reaction score
Julie is correct, it could just need some more time, especially if there is still CO2 gas in the wine, it is a deterrent to clearing as it helps keep those little particles from settling down to the bottom. You should first work to rid the wine of CO2, there are many threads here about degassing, you can decide what method you'd like to employ if time is not your choice.

The other option, if you are endeavoring to accomplish clearing very quickly, and degassing doesn't work or isn't needed, consider your bentonite effort. If applied in appropriate dosage, served to rid your wine of negatively charged particles, as it's positive charge attracts them. Most fining regimens include two agents, one for negative particles, the other for positive particles, you've not applied the latter. My personal preference fo remove the positively charged particles is chitosan, but there are many others out there that will accomplish that part of the fining effort. Good luck!!
John and Julie,

Thanks for the advice. The fermentation is finished. The fermentation locks are stable. I will wait to see if it clarifies over the next few weeks before trying something else.

Tony

Latest posts