Question on a Niagra mist wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzmeister

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am currently making a blue pommegranete wine from niagrw mist, it is in the clearing stage, I followed instructions to a T on making it but one thing that I noticed was that around the edge o f the neck of the carboy 2 inches below the air lock stopper there is a solid peice of crudd on the inside edge where the glass and liguid meet, it is starting to seperate from the liquid and fall to the bottom what is it? is it infected, or what, it stayed there from when I mixed the fruit pak, untill now, it is in the 10 day of the clearing stage I made a niagra mist blackcherry before this batch and that did not happen with it has any one seen this before? thanks

Relax, it is probably a pce of packing from the package it was in. I would not worry about but you can sanitize a spoon and fish it out. Youd be amazed at what stuff gets in there sometimes with no problems at all.

Hi wade this stuff that is there has formed a complete circle on top of the wine around the carboy, when I mixed the fruit pak and stirred it in the carboy, a small amount of foam appeared in the same place, and it never did go away, it just seemed to harden off, and is now starting to loosen off and fall to the bottom.

Ive seen a lot of stuff over my years. get a clean paper towel or spoon and get it out or just let it settle out by getting it into the wine and dissloved. It will be fine as long as you sanitized everything that went in and most likely even if you didnt. Its pretty hard to mess up a kit and dont recall 1 of these kits not working out just fine.

Thanks Wade I will take your advice, I will sanitize a spoon, and scratch it loose, so it will settle to the bottom, this is only my 3rd kit, and I guess there is a lot to learn if I am going to keep on doing this obsessing, and addicting, hobby thanks again

Latest posts

Back