Question Making Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitrhs99

Junior
Reaction score
My Dad is making peach wine and it is almost ready to bottle. We tried it today and it is a little bitter and dry. Is there any way to make it sweeter now or is it too late. It has been sitting for three months. Can we add sugar at this point and if so does it need to sit longer. We did add sugar when making it but I don't think we added enough.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kit

you can always back sweeten to taste, but you need to make inverted sugar. you put 2 parts sugar into 1 part water, bring close to a boil and add more of both as needed. after a little bit (not sure how long as i have not made it myself), pour into a sealable container with a little lemon juice. use that to sweeten the wine until it's just barely too dry to your liking as it will age and get sweeter over time.

then add sorbate and meta. let it stay in there for ~2 weeks and see if it gets cloudy and rack later, if not bottle it. you should be fine.

Happy thanksgiving!

you can always back sweeten to taste, but you need to make inverted sugar. you put 2 parts sugar into 1 part water, bring close to a boil and add more of both as needed. after a little bit (not sure how long as i have not made it myself), pour into a sealable container with a little lemon juice. use that to sweeten the wine until it's just barely too dry to your liking as it will age and get sweeter over time.

Why the lemon juice?

I have not heard of adding lemon juice.. WHY ?

I would make up a simple syrup consisting of 1 part boiling water and 2 parts sugar until its dissolved all the way and then add it slowly to your wine as to not over sweeten it. If its tart now adding lemon juice will only make it more so if you ask me.

Stab in the dark here..

Lemon juice has citric acid .. perhaps that's why you'd add it?

I usually add citric upfront to a peach wine, however it would add contrast with f pac at bottling time. Then age?.

I think Luc already pointed out that lemon juice has less citric than assumed in most recipes.

Allie

Thank you for all of your help. We did go ahead and add the inverted sugar and I think that is helping the taste of it.

IDK about adding a little lemon juice to the inverted sugar as my dad is a chef and makes it. i think it's a preservative as we make it in 1 gallon jugs. can't taste it at all. i tried and then needed dental work. lol

If I had to guess, I'd say the citric acid reduces the chances of the sugar crystallizing. Although, I opened my new Alton Brown cookbook and the recipe for simple syrup lists lemons and mint as optional. That’s because it’s used in iced tea. Perhaps the lemon is for added tea goodness.

My dad and other old timers used to put lemon juice in their honey to prevent crystilizing.

Latest posts

Back