Question for Maui

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenbean

Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask if you have ever thought of doing a poi wine? It could turn out good. If not maybe use it to blend like potatoe wine.
smiley2.gif

Chris

Me? Anything is possible! I just have to find out where I could get pois.....
smiley17.gif

Oops, I forgot to read the title. Sorry....
smiley36.gif
Edited by: MedPretzel

I think it might be worth a try. Maybe the wine would keep the lavender color.
smiley1.gif

Chris

Poi is made from a cousin of our Elephant ears. It looks something like sticky purple mashed potatoes.

Chris

Is it indiginous to the south? I don't think I've ever heard of them until now....

Ihaven't heard of them either but I believe this post was directed to the wrong person cause I bet I know who will try it if she can find the plant!
smiley36.gif

Anyone care to guess who?
smiley4.gif

Don't quote me on this but I think they are related to Lillies botanicaly. The leaves look similar to green Afican elephant ears hence the name. They are a tropical to subtropical plant that grows in moist places.

ChrisEdited by: greenbean

Poi is native to Hawaii and they make everything out of it. I'll bet someone has tried to make a wine from it.

smiley36.gif
You are right George, someone has! The word "Poi" is the what happens in the process after picking the plant. Better yet, I'll post the link: http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/5224.html

There's alot more info if you all use the word "Taro" and you will find allot of surprises where it is being used today. Also check out the natural vitamins and minerals that are contained in each portion of the plant. You cannot eat "taro" raw. And the ones that you see as landscaping etc., don't dare eat it. There's many varities from different places, and the best known and sought after is the purple taro called.."Leihua" They also come in different colors and flavors as well. Due to recent storms and climate changes, Hawaii crops have decreasedtremendously causing the prices to soar in markets.

The purple is the only one I have tried. I didn't know it came in different colors.

Chris

Different types, I guess similiar to different potatoes from different areas.

You tried the best there is....how was it?

Maybe it was the fact that it wasn't prepared by someone who was good with it, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I would compare it to starchy half set glue.
smiley5.gif
. I do keep in mind that if you want good southern food you go to the south, if you want good Hawaian food you go to Hawai.Sorry if I miss spelled that.

Chris

Latest posts

Back