Question, corks popped out

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wine4Me

Reaction score
After bottling, I had some corks pop out & looking for ideas what ALL can cause this??
First off I use campton pills & SORBATE. I wait 14 days afterwards to bottle! I try & be careful not to fill to full [have done that in the past]
but I do not always degass as much as I should.. COULD THAT Be the problem??
and the temperature differs to the weather..
Have I missed anything other things I could have done wrong??

What was the sg when you added the sulfites and sorbate and did you sweeten the wine? You cannot add sulfites and sorbate to a still fermenting wine as its almost impossible to stop a fermentation in progress without extremely over sulfiting your wine.

It started out 1.070 & ended up .996
and YES I sweetened the wine when adding sorbate & pills.. Not sure if it matters, but I like my wine SWEET~~ :b

Did you add the sulfite and then sorbate and then sweeten in that order? How big of a batch did you make and how much of each did you add to that batch.

sulfite and sorbate
Not sure which I added first [but added then the same day] which I add first makes a difference???
Batch size was 5 gallons
I added 5 pills & 2 1/2 teaspoons sorbate. :b

I just reread that & I am also not sure if I did the chemicals or sweetener first..

If you are adding the sulfite and sorbate the same day its not really a big deal just make sure there is always a decent amount of sulfites present when adding sorbate. Now about the possible sweetening first that could be the problem.

[Now about the possible sweetening first that could be the problem.]
Question here??
I add the chemicals, then sweetener..... Do I have to wait awhile [like hours days?] to add the sweetner???

When you say "pop out" do you mean blow all the way out or just push back up a little bit? If they just raised up a little bit do you wet or soak your corks prior to inserting? What type of corker do you use? What type of corks? What size corks? The reason I say this is I use the synthetic corks. One brand I bought would push back out from the back pressure when I would cork with the floor corker. It only did it with wet corks. If I used dry corks I never had a problem. I have had the Agglomerate corks push up some as well when inserted wet but not near as bad as the full synthetic corks.

pop out = I mean all the way out..
I have a floor corker and wet them but not really soak them..
I use the real corks.. [not synthetic corks]
cork size = I THINK its #9 ..

Ive always added the stabilizing chems and waited a few days and then sweetened with home made wines bt have always added them right after another with kits and never had the problem except for 1 batch that Iwrote down that I addeds stablilzers but didnt actually do it as I wrote it down then was interrupted by 1 of my kids and boom, a few weeks later had a mess with plum wine in my cellar.

If they popped all the way out you either have a lot of CO2 in suspension or fermentation is still in progress producing new CO2. For them to pop all the way out I would lean toward the wine is still fermenting meaning the wine did not get stabilized properly.

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that if the level of wine in the bottle was too high, atmospheric pressure changes could cause corks to pop out. If there is insufficient head room, you are trying to compress the wine instead of the trapped gas.

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that if the level of wine in the bottle was too high, atmospheric pressure changes could cause corks to pop out. If there is insufficient head room, you are trying to compress the wine instead of the trapped gas.

You are absolutely correct. The pressure can push the corks up. It is rare they will come all the way out though.

Latest posts

Back