Question about vinegar bacteria transfer from bottles of vinegar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbylet

Junior
Reaction score
I was reading a thread on here about sanitizing that made me start panicking. Something along the lines that people don't even take wine/equipment in the kitchen if vinegar is used in there.
I'd just racked some wine in another room and some equipment was drying in the kitchen after being sanitized there. I'd taken out a bottle of apple cider vinegar earlier today and placed it on the counter near it, I store about 8 different types of vinegar in the cabinet under where my equipment dries.

How much of an issue is this? I have weeks before I bottle my first batch and have a lot to learn. I think I probably don't have anything to worry about if I am not opening the vinegar while I have equipment out if the surfaces are santized, but maybe paranoid is good.
I was afraid to go into the half bath where my wine is all set up after I put the bottle away though in case evil vinegar bacteria was clinging to me like doom or something. I wish I had a better set-up but there is no way I can clean my equipment anywhere but the kitchen.

Last edited:
As long as you are noy open fermenting and as long as you sanitize evrything before using it for your wine youll be fine. You probably have much more of a chance of problems due to fruit flies then standard table vinegar but if you have Mother of Vinegar in the general vicinity that would be another story.

Thank you Wade! Keeping the fruit flies under control when they appear with homemade banana traps :db

p.s. I've learned a lot from your replies on many threads so far too!

Thats why we are here! We also learn when people ask questions, some I may not know but must find out so Google it an d then spread the wealth of knowledge.

Something along the lines that people don't even take wine/equipment in the kitchen if vinegar is used in there.

Two weks ago I was bottling some wine in my kitchen since my wine cellar was under renovation. My wife decided to fill up her vinegar bottle beside me.

ARE YOU CRAZY! GET THAT AWAY FROM ME!. :tz She didn't know and I, not sure iif finished vinegar would contaminate the wine. There probably is a chance but unlikely unless as Wade said it was actively fermenting.

I'll see if I can find anything out about this and update.

Latest posts

Back